10 Month old son still drinking milk at night

iVillage Member
10 Month old son still drinking milk at night
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 11:18am

I was just wondering what everyones view is on this subject - my 10-month-old still wakes up once a night to have a 7oz bottle of 100% whole milk. Should he be weaned off that or do you think when he is ready to stop drinking at night he will?

I have had debates about this with some people at home and its a little bit of a mix here and there - some say to just let him CIO and others say when the baby is ready then he will just transition and we should not force him to not eat and such. The pediatrician said her children ate at night until they were about 15 months and when she cut them off them they were able to just adjust better than when she tried at a younger age.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 3:45pm
I would say if you think it is a problem, you could start to do 6oz for a few days(or weeks) and then slowly wean it down. If you don't think its a problem go with your mommy instinct and keep feeding your baby!!
I am pretty sure that my daughter was waking up in the middle of the night to eat at that age... Or we stopped the nights feedings around that age.
good luck!
Crystal Wife to Ron 10/11/03 Mama to Emma Noel 10/4/08 Soon to be Mama 1/3/12:)
Community Leader
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 4:36pm

My younger son only started sleeping through the night at 11 months -- before that we would want to nurse once (after I finally got him to stop waking up 6+ times) in the early morning.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 10:30am

I am torn on this one b/c I think after a while it becomes a habit more than a necessity.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 12:16pm

scmommy8 : Thanks for the information. Sometimes I am not too sure either because when I walk into his room I can hear his tummy making a ton of hunger noises so then I go and get him a bottle. What I was told to do is to start watering down the milk until he ends up just having pure water and he will eventually just dismiss the bottle because it isn't what he wants. Has anyone done that before?

Also do you

Community Leader
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 1:28pm

Sucky clip!

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 2:34pm

My son definitely has problems self soothing.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 3:14pm

My 2 yo DD still gets a sippie cup of milk at night and I don't see it as a problem. I was never able to le my kids CIO I always felt to bad. I didn't give my kids milk till i stopped the formula at a year though and thats when i took away the bottle all together and traded it for a sippie. Ultimatly your the mom trust your gut :)

~JACKIE

MOMMY TO
~TRAVIS JAMES DEAN 12/6/06
~ALAINA NOELLE DEAN 6/30/09 EDD DEC 16TH
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 4:11pm
Yes! I was going to suggest watering down the milk. It worked for me with my first child. The first night bottle was 1/4 water and rest milk. Then 1/2 water and half milk then 1/4 milk and 3/4 water and then water. By the third night he slept ttn. Good luck! Don't talk to him and try to get it into him before he gets wailing.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 4:54pm

I have a sucky clip but I am concerned it may get tangled around his neck?

Where do you clip his sucky clip to his shirt - on his sleeve or somewhere else on the shirt?? I've been wondering what is the safest but easiest place for them to realize it is right there with him.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-27-2011 - 5:47pm
In my opinion, a 10 month old is still a baby and therefore there is nothing wrong with giving him a bottle of milk still. Besides, if you cut him off now he might only regress back to it once the new baby gets here. You might want to keep his routine as regular as possible right now. Just be diligent about brushing his teeth and gums and he'll be fine. I want to say that both my kids weened off a bottle around the 15 - 18 months range for those middle of the night feedings. DS did still get a bedtime bottle up to about 24 months but that's a whole long story. Ultimately it comes down to you doing what you and ds are comfortable with. He will more than likely let you know when he is ready. If you want to help the transition go quicker though you might consider putting the milk in a sippy cup and see how that works.

Photobucket

Pages