Age for Bunk Beds

iVillage Member
Age for Bunk Beds
Sat, 08-20-2011 - 6:35pm

Hi,

I was just wondering what the age is for a child to sleep in a bunk bed on top?

We are considering to just buy a twin bunk bed and use the lower part for our oldest son for now as we have a baby due in December. eventually we would have to buy a bunk bed as the room that the kids are in is small. Instead of buying a toddler bed for my son right now, could I just get a bunk bed and he can sleep on the lower one with a toddler rail until he is older to get on top to the top bunk so his baby brother can then take the bottom when they are older?

Has anyone done this? If so what age for top bunks?

Thanks

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-20-2011 - 6:55pm

I bought my kids bunk beds a few yrs ago..I believe they were 3 and 5 at the time..You could get the stackable kind..You could just assemble the bottom bunk for now and keep the top one boxed up so the little one can't climb up on top..

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-20-2011 - 7:12pm

I just bought bunk beds (twin over a full) for my son (age 2) but he will be staying on the bottom bunk for a long time.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-20-2011 - 8:33pm

Obvioulsy, mine won't be sharing but I wanted something for my DD for sleepovers. The set I just got said 6+ for the top. The rail is low enough that I wouldn't have put her up there before 5.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-20-2011 - 9:40pm

I would definitely do it now :) might as well save the money. Nate went into a caption bed at 2, with a full set of 6 drawers under it (2 rows of 3) and he did just fine :) We are not getting our boys bunk beds, wish we would have to begin with.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-21-2011 - 12:15am

Thanks for the advice. I do intend to keep the younger baby which is due in december in the crib longer. I just need to save some money as right now we are on a tight budget and I am thinking ahead in terms of how to use our space to the fullest so they still have room to move around. I was planning on letting him sleep in the bottom bunk as he knows how to climb up and down our sofa bed in our room already and just get toddler rails for the lower bunk.

Hopefully the new addition won't be showing early signs of escaping his crib and wanting to climb out so that he can stay in the crib longer so that when my current son now is old enough he can move up top and then th elittle one can take over the bottom.

Thanks all for your advice! Think I will end up purchasing a bunk bed and then saving money in the long run.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-21-2011 - 1:41pm

I've been pondering the idea of bunk beds. We have a two bedroom duplex. My 4 and 1/2 year old daughter and almost 3 year old son share the second room now. It's not SUPER tiny but def not big. Oliver is in a toddler bed and Chloe is in a twin. Soon enough I hope we will move into a 3 bedroom when something comes up in our area/price range/when we have the $$$ lol. So EVENTUALLY when this baby girl is older her and Chloe will share a room. I was just thinking for space wise now that

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-21-2011 - 4:44pm
We bought bunk beds when my oldest was about 2 1/2. The ladder was placed on the top bunk so she couldn't get up and she slept in the bottom bunk with a bed rail. When she was about 3 she discovered how to climb onto the top bunk by herself. She actually built a ladder out of stuff in her room (chairs, book shelf, etc.) to get up there. Only problem for her is that she didn't know how to get herself back down. By the time she was 4 we had moved her onto the top bunk completely because by this point she was getting up and down all by herself even without the ladder and we moved ds, who was about 2, out of the toddler bed and into the big boy bed since he didn't like feeling like a "baby". We never had a problem with either kid falling out of the bed, whether it be top or bottom bunk. We also made sure we went over how to be safe on the top bunk.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-21-2011 - 5:12pm

The bunk beds will usually tell you on them...the ones I have for DS says 6 yrs old.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-22-2011 - 2:50am

I totally just did something similar to this.

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-22-2011 - 2:42pm
We bought our DD's bunks after our last baby was born. They were 6 and 2 at the time and our oldest slept on top. But they switched at the beginning of this year and the DD that sleeps up there now is about to turn 5-she has slept there since she was 4 and 3 months.

Heidi