Age gaps for kids

iVillage Member
Age gaps for kids
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 4:34pm

I'm home bored today so humor me. lol

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 4:47pm

Our daughter will be 5 years and 5 month by the time our baby boy will be born. We were also hoping for them to closer in age, but it just didn't happen. First we were overwhelmed by having one child, we both work full time and don't have any family living close to us. Than we miscarried at 13 weeks last year and were told not to TTC at least 6 month...

I don't think 5 years is a terrible age gap, my dd will be able to help out a lot and I will be able to spend some "alone" time with the baby while she is in Kindergarten. Financially it will be easier as well since we won't have to pay for child care for 2 kids at the same time:).

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 5:28pm

My daughters are almost 6 years apart, and this baby will be 6 years apart as well, which will leave me with a 12 year-old, a 6 year-old, and a newborn. In fact, if I carry this baby to 38 weeks, which is when I delivered both of my daughters, the distance between the first and the middle and the middle and the baby will be exactly 5 years, 10 months, and 2 weeks. How's that for spooky?

We did not plan it this way. My first daughter was the product of a crisis pregnancy during college, so the age gap between her and the younger one is understandable. We planned to have more children and started trying again when DD was 3, to avoid an age gap too big, but 3 miscarriages later, here we are. I do not love the age gap - it's hard to entertain a pre-teen and a newborn at the same time :)

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 5:30pm
My dd will turn 6 the month after the baby is born. Dh and I were 18 and 19 when we had her so another one planned right away was not in our minds. Once the new baby turn 4 we will try for another one and that's it. No more after I turn 30. We are both police officers so we can't have babies back to back. I wouldn't want to either way.
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 5:32pm
My DS will be 2 years and 2 months when this one is born (-ish...depends on when the baby decides to come, I guess, lol). I'm not sure how I'm going to like the age gap, lol. I hope that it is far enough apart that it isn't like caring for twins but far enough apart that they will play with each other but again not far enough apart that they fight all the time. Yeah.....I would LOVE for my DS to be potty trained before this one comes, but as it stands right now, I don't foresee that happening...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 5:53pm

Well, by the time this baby is born I will have a 13 yr old, a 5yr old and a 10month old.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 7:57pm
My daughter will be 3 years and 9 months when this baby is born. I was hoping a more solid 3 years apart. But oh well. I am nervous too that they will be too far apart to connect or be close :(
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 9:22pm

This baby will be just over 2 1/2 years younger than my son.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 9:24pm

My oldest and her brother are about 20 months apart. At the time it didn't seem that close and it wasn't entirely to difficult BUT when I look back I feel like I missed so much of Chloe being little bc Oliver was a needy baby. She seemed much bigger at the time and looking at pictures I see how little she was :( Overall it went well. Now there will be about 3 years and 1 month between Oliver and this baby. I think I like this. Oliver is still much more challenging than Chloe ever has been so I'm glad he is older getting a sibling than Chloe was. I can't believe she will be almost five years older than the new baby! If we ever have more there will be a bigger gap again (maybe 3 to 5 years) because we will need a bigger car and home, lol, and don't have money to do that for a while!

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 10:31pm
This baby is due right around my son's birthday so the two kids will be almost exactly 8 years apart.

My son has an older half-brother who is 5.5 years older and my stepdaughter and son are about 3.5 months apart from each other.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 10:39pm
DS will be 7 and DD will be 3. They play with each other and are close. I'm hoping that they'll take to this baby well. They are both excited. I'm glad ours are spaced the way they are. They each will get the attention they need as infants and toddlers.

Pages