iVillage Member
Anyone had or having a home birth?
Fri, 04-29-2011 - 4:18pm

Hi Everyone!

I am 110% sure that I

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-30-2011 - 12:10am
Not for anything in the world! lol I wish you all the luck with it though!
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-30-2011 - 4:07pm

Hi there! We are also having a home birth. Fortunately, it's much cheaper around

Photobucket As
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-30-2011 - 9:38pm
Good luck in having your home birth! Unfortunately, a doula is not able to be the "doctor", so to speak, at a home birth. A doula is basically someone who is to be an advocate for you (especially at a hospital birth), a coach, etc. A doula can help make sure that your wishes are met (within reason and medical issues allowing) and to make sure that you aren't pressured into things you don't want, like an epidural, c-section, etc. A doula also gives tips on techniques to help make the laboring process easier for you, but they really don't have the medical training necessary to be the only one to attend a birth.
The midwife has been trained in the medical aspects of labor/childbirth and can recognize signs of when something is wrong or when something needs to be done. In some states, a midwife can actually be the attending "doctor" at a hospital birth, in which cases I do believe insurance will pay for. I don't know which states those are, so it may pay to try to look into that if you can't swing the $3-4 grand for a home birth with a midwife.

Photobucket