Anyone worried about...

iVillage Member
Anyone worried about...
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 4:09pm

having a child with autism? I know this probably sounds very shallow and out there..but for some reason this has been one of my biggest worries this pregnancy, especially since I'm having a boy. No one in my or DH's family has been diagnosed with it and I also only know one little boy who is on the spectrum but very high functioning. I have no idea where these fears come from, but ever since we found out we are having a boy, I have been freaked out about it. I have been researching markers for it online, of course that doesn't help since the baby isn't even born yet. Has anyone that same fear? Or has anyone a child that has been diagnosed?

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-14-2011 - 7:33pm

Off topic, but Julie, I love your new sig

Thanks Rhae, they do a great job in the Signature Showcase, I'm feeling more "autumnal" already :)

I guess for me, Autism is a concern since two kids on my husband's side of the family have it (nobody on my side of the family does, except for an adopted cousin). Oddly, my DH & I haven't even discussed the possibility that this child may be affected. We were actually initially more concerned about birth defects, since my son was born with a cleft lip and I'm of "advanced maternal age".

I guess we'll see what happens and roll with it. Fortunately my stepdaughter is a very amiable child (it's her mother that we have to deal with every other week that gives us more of a headache...but that's another story!).

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-14-2011 - 9:15pm
Very high concern for me. Having a boy this time too. DH has aspergers syndrome (high functioning autism on the spectrum) So, it concerns me even more. With DD we did an alternative vax schedule to be on the safe side. But its so much more common in boys, so this concerns me. DH has a DS from his first marriage who doesn't have autism- so that helps a little.
Photobucket

Pages