Anyone worried about...

iVillage Member
Anyone worried about...
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 4:09pm

having a child with autism? I know this probably sounds very shallow and out there..but for some reason this has been one of my biggest worries this pregnancy, especially since I'm having a boy. No one in my or DH's family has been diagnosed with it and I also only know one little boy who is on the spectrum but very high functioning. I have no idea where these fears come from, but ever since we found out we are having a boy, I have been freaked out about it. I have been researching markers for it online, of course that doesn't help since the baby isn't even born yet. Has anyone that same fear? Or has anyone a child that has been diagnosed?

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-14-2011 - 9:15pm
Very high concern for me. Having a boy this time too. DH has aspergers syndrome (high functioning autism on the spectrum) So, it concerns me even more. With DD we did an alternative vax schedule to be on the safe side. But its so much more common in boys, so this concerns me. DH has a DS from his first marriage who doesn't have autism- so that helps a little.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-14-2011 - 7:33pm

Off topic, but Julie, I love your new sig

Thanks Rhae, they do a great job in the Signature Showcase, I'm feeling more "autumnal" already :)

I guess for me, Autism is a concern since two kids on my husband's side of the family have it (nobody on my side of the family does, except for an adopted cousin). Oddly, my DH & I haven't even discussed the possibility that this child may be affected. We were actually initially more concerned about birth defects, since my son was born with a cleft lip and I'm of "advanced maternal age".

I guess we'll see what happens and roll with it. Fortunately my stepdaughter is a very amiable child (it's her mother that we have to deal with every other week that gives us more of a headache...but that's another story!).

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-14-2011 - 8:52am

I'm right there with you. I just told my sister this past weekend that even though there are more serious diseases out there, autism is at the top of my list of concerns. I think it's because it's so common. I think it's important to talk to your pediatrician about it so you know what to look for. My understanding is that if suspected markers are presesnt (even in babies) early intervention makes a huge impact. On the other hand, I don't want to be so consumed by that fear that I'm constantly watching him for markers and missing out on just

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-14-2011 - 1:10am

I've never really been worried about autism.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-14-2011 - 12:56am
One of my three cousins I raised is autistic. It isn't so bad, so I'm not terribly concerned... He still goes to regular school etc, he just does things a bit differently.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 6:11pm
YES.

The lovely little gal in my signature is my stepdaughter and she is Autistic. She is fortunately only mildly affected, however she does go to a special needs class at school., she's unable to be mainstreamed at this time. She and my son are only 3 months apart in age, so it's really obvious a lot where the differences lie between them. She mimics rather than follows her own opinion or thoughts. She requires more instruction and follow up as she tends to get distracted easily. Emotions are extreme and sometimes irrational (either she overreacts or underreacts to what would be considered "normal"), however my DH & I work with her a lot on behavior and haven't had any meltdowns or these extreme emotional outbursts in a while. Keeping her on a schedule is imperative.

I am certainly concerned about having a child with Autism. My DH's half-sister has a son who is on the extreme end of the spectrum. He is about 9 and cannot speak or communicate. That is what I am more concerned about for sure :(
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 5:39pm

Thank you Allison! That's great inside!

The number of boys having autism is apparently 4 times higher than the number of girls affected by it. Of course, both genders can be affected.

My DD also went to a private pre-school (Montessori)..I will find out about the religious objections this time around.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 5:23pm

I mostly followed the alternate schedule suggested by Dr. Sears.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 4:55pm

I will also look into the vaccinations more this time around. With my daughter I just did what I was told and scheduled all the vaccines according to my doctors advise. I read there is a book available by Dr. Sears that gives advise on how to stagger the vaccines if you decide not to stick with the traditional schedule. However, that can be tricky if you are trying to enroll your child in daycare or preschool. My DD was required to have all vaccines according to schedule in order to be enrolled..

Verena

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 4:53pm
It never actually crossed my mind and I have a little brother that has autism. Just because I'm having a boy wouldn't matter because girls has it also. My little brothers class is mixed with boy girls black white etc. My fear has been spinia bifida due to the fact that DH sister died from it.
What I can say to those who never experienced a child like that is, for me my little brother is my fav person in this world. He goes to a regular school, very very brillant.

Pages