Baby Boy Themed Room

iVillage Member
Baby Boy Themed Room
Mon, 08-01-2011 - 8:54pm

Anyone care to share some ideas for boy rooms? We have a 10 month old son and we are expecting our next son on Christmas Day this year.

We are wondering what to do with the room - we don't want to paint the room as we know as the kids continue to grow they will end up going into their own rooms and thus we don't want to have the have the hassle to repaint and remodel each room.

Any suggestions would be great and where to get things from!

Thanks guys!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-01-2011 - 9:20pm

I did my son's nursery in a tropical island theme.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-01-2011 - 9:58pm
So cute Allison!
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-01-2011 - 10:08pm
When ds was born I bought some fabric at Joann's that was a dark blue background with white stars and zebras jumping over rainbows. I wish I had a picture. Darn! It turned out really cute. I used the fabric for the bumper pad, bought a crib sheet that was blue with white stars, and for curtains I used the same fabric as the bumper pad. Kept the walls white so we could pain them later when the time came.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-02-2011 - 11:47am
I think it's best to find a fabric or bedding piece that you absolutely LOVE and then decorate around that piece. I'm not crazy about matchy-matchy sets, you know buying everything in the same line, but I prefer to use one decorative piece and then coordinate with gingham, stripes, dots or solids in similar or complimentary colors.

I'm going with an ocean theme. So many of the ones I saw in the stores were really "cutesy" or in pastel colors but I wanted to use turquoise & red as my main colors with orange & lime green as additional colors. I think this is a scheme that will grow with him and my older son will eventually share this room with him when he's about 2.

These are the fabrics I'm going to be using for the nursery.

http://paintedbutterflystudio1.blogspot.com/

I live in an apt so we have to keep the walls cream colored but I plan on sewing a string of pennant flags that spell out his name, make some curtains, a bed skirt and I'm almost done with the quilt.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-02-2011 - 12:29pm

Thanks for the tips ladies. I really appreciate it.

I was looking at some wall decals on Amazon - like Safari themed - do you think this could work for a boys room?

It is actually solid colors either brown or black and you just stick it onto the wall. Has anyone used wall decals before? Is it something good that I should consider?

I don't want the bedding to be over the top so I was thinking if I got those wall decals and such I could use solid colors for the bedding that go in line with a safari theme such as greens, yellows and browns? Thoughts?

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-02-2011 - 4:10pm
I have wall decals but my walls are old plaster so they're not perfectly smooth. They still stick but it's not as pretty as it would be on drywall.

Solids are nice and can give you more options if you decide to change the decals or other wall art.
Photobucket