BabyWise

iVillage Member
BabyWise
Thu, 08-18-2011 - 12:30pm

Hey All

I just recently got given this book called 'Babywise' and was wondering what is everyone's take on this method that 'Babywise' talks about?

Has anyone used this method with their baby before?

If so what was the outcome? Was it positive or negative?

If you haven't used this method but maybe heard of some things, it would be nice to hear the pros and cons to this method.

Thanks all

iVillage Member
In reply to: jwmark
Thu, 08-18-2011 - 12:46pm
I haven't done any research on it myself, but have heard from my previous EC/PG that it can actually be detrimental to a baby and can cause malnurishment because of the very strict feeding schedule. From what I have heard it may have been linked to some infant deaths. But, as I stated, I haven't done any research on my own or even looked at the actual method itself, those are just things I've heard/read from others. It always sounded way to strict of a style for me anyway.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-18-2011 - 12:59pm
Ok so I have not a clue what you ladies are talking about. Can someone explain?
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-18-2011 - 1:05pm
Babywise is a parenting style of sorts that imposes strict feeding times, etc., and claims that it will make a baby sleep through the night really early on. If you google the term, stuff should come up.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-18-2011 - 2:35pm
I haven't done much research on the book either, but the little bit I had heard and read about it is very bad...basically exactly what Gina mentioned.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-18-2011 - 2:40pm
I'll be the first to admit that I haven't read any parenting books but I google as needed and talk with other mothers. I've had a couple friends use a very scheduled, parent centered approach to parenting and their kids seem fine. I'm more of a baby centered kind of caretaker so I wouldn't even know how to go about scheduling an infant. I imagine that daycares are more structured so I'll be finding out how that works to some degree.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-18-2011 - 4:02pm
I think the biggest concern with the Babywise thing is that you follow the schedule of when and how much to feed them based on age, regardless of individual nutrition needs, growth spurts, etc. So based on that, a baby can become under-nurished quickly and be in danger. Also, some of the babies tend to be dehydrated when Babywise is used, according to what I have heard.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-18-2011 - 4:59pm

I have not read the book, but have read a lot about it and had some friends who have used it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-18-2011 - 5:55pm
Allison, that is definitely it: use common sense. Unfortunately, a lot of people are of the mindset that if something is published in a book, it must be the truth or ok or they wouldn't have been able to publish it. Which is about as far from the truth as can possibly be, lol.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-18-2011 - 6:14pm

Yes, when I was reading through the book it seemed like for that type of style there was no room to compromise or adjust to the child. I have had some parents who followed it to a T and they liked it, while others used some ideas to help schedule a rough routine so their day would be more predictable but would still cater to their child's needs.

Thanks for all the views. Just wanted to see what moms here thought about it. With all the books out there that people pass me and such, I end up with the conclusion to do what works best for my child and do what is best for them. Ultimately no child is the same so I don't know how a book can dictate one thing for all babies around the world.