Breast Feeding.. tell me what you kno!

iVillage Member
Breast Feeding.. tell me what you kno!
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 11:55am
My last post was about prego classes and I talked about taking a breast feeding class. That won't be into October. So can some of you tell me what I really need to know and need to buy for this task of breastfeeding. All info is welcomed because I know nothing, I haven't even googled it yet. I am going back to work in March, so that means I have to pump.
What pumps do you suggest?
Does it hurt?
Do you have long term changes in your nipples and breast?

I don't know where to start!

Jayla
RJ due Dec 8th

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 12:45pm

I nursed DS for the first year and it was a really good experience.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 12:56pm

I nursed my son for 2 years.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 3:57pm
Hello,
For me breast feeding was fine while I was in the hospital (of course) but once my milk came in(the first few days its a clear liquid call collustrum(sp?)), she wasn't able to latch. If you have issues you can go to a lactation consultant, they are very helpful. Sometimes they are a little pushy where they make you feel like crap if you cant do it and decide to use formula. If you do have to use formula you can know that atleast you tried!
I was able to get Emma to latch with the help of some nipple gards and everything was fine after that first month.
As far as pumping goes I got a medela pump and go also it was pretty good, about 20 per pumping cycle. When I first started pumping I did it 3X per day. Once i wanted to start weaning i just decreased the pumping cycles per day.
Another choice for a pump is renting a hospital grade pump, I might be a bit more pricy than purchasing a medela, but I hear it is much faster ~10min per pumping session.
Good luck! I am sure it will go great for you!!!
Crystal Wife to Ron 10/11/03 Mama to Emma Noel 10/4/08 Soon to be Mama 1/3/12:)
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 4:04pm
I nursed my son for 14 months, pumping in between twice a day at work. I had the Medela Pump-in-Style and it was a FANTASTIC pump (with great resale value as well), so I'll be buying that one again this time.

My son had a partial cleft lip so I wasn't even sure he was going to be able to nurse. He did but because of the cleft, he didn't really get the greatest latch and would take on too much air (resulting in lots of vomiting, blech!).

I do recall early on that it was uncomfortable in the nipples and I'd get extremely engorged & would have to pump out excess. Once he had his surgery though, it was much easier for him and his latch was much improved and except for nursing a baby with stitches (talk about PAIN!! Lol), it was much better.

My breasts went back to how they were before, a very small B cup but they were much softer and squishier :( Now, I'm up to a full C cup and they are firm and hard again. I know when I was pregnant the first time my breasts didn't change until after birth but this time they changed almost immediately upon conception! My nipples are darker and very very large already.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 4:39pm
I rented a hospital grade pump and it's probably the only reason I was able to get that 1/2 oz a day. Pathetic, right? It was huge but painless and fast. Olivia had a good latch (until she realized that she wasn't ever going to get fed) so it didn't hurt.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 5:29pm
I nursed my first, but with some minor setbacks. I wasn't able to be with her until she was a day old and then she was in the NICU for a few days. After that she started getting sick (MRSA infection) and her pediatrician told me to stop nursing until he could make sure that it wasn't me getting her sick since I had a blood transfusion in the hospital. Once she got to about 3 weeks old though she nursed very well until 6 months. The thing I remember most with nursing her is that my milk supply was very abundant! I used to have to cover her with a towel and then fold up a full size towel several times and place it over the other nipple to soak up all the milk. I wish I would have known then that I could have pumped a bit ahead of time so the let down of the milk wouldn't be so strong and choke her.

With ds, we got off to a wonderful start in nursing. He was an amazing nurser and latched on immediately after birth. With him though I had to make sure that he got the entire nipple and as much as possible of the areola in his mouth or else he would pinch my nipple causing pain. Once we figured that out we both enjoyed it.

When nursing ds I was working full time and going to school full time 3 nights a week. I loved my medela pump in style. I place on using it for this baby as well

Does it hurt? When I was pregnant with my first I had someone give me the advice to rub my nipples with scouring pads so that they would build up calluses. Completely unnecessary! If it hurts then the latch is wrong. With that being said, the first few times you nurse, or when your breasts are very full, can be uncomfortable, but it is only for a matter of a few seconds and quickly goes away. The uterine cramping can also be uncomfortable to somewhat painful for the first week or so as your uterus will start contracting again. Once again, it goes away within a few minutes of starting to nurse and all is well.

Long term changes? My breasts stayed bigger and fuller than they were prior to getting pregnant even though I weighed 20 pounds less than I did when I got pregnant. After breastfeeding my second one they got even bigger. Dh sure wasn't complaining :-P

If your nipples ever start cracking and bleeding it could be a couple of different things. 1) they might just need to be moisturized with a cream that they sell for breastfeeding or 2) baby might have a thrush infection in their mouth (especially pacifier users) and it could be passed to you. If that is that case then you both need to be treated.

HTH a bit. Feel free to ask questions as you go. BF is such a wonderful experience!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 6:32pm
I nursed DS for 9 months. One thing to know is that there is a learning curve- it is a skill to get the baby to latch on correctly. When the baby is latched on correctly, it doesn't hurt. If it hurts, the likely culprit is an incorrect latch. I worked FT after baby and definitely recommend the Medela pump in style. I was able to easily pump in about 8- 10 mins. When your milk comes in your breasts become like Dolly Parton's and you'll be happy to have a good pump to express and collect the milk so dad can give a bottle while you nap.
With DD I BF'ed for 5 months. With her we used a bottle of formula a day after the first month because I'd get so busy at work that I'd only pump once and not have enough for the sitter. The best advice is that it's not an all or nothing thing. My kids took a bottle no problem- no nipple confusion.

I did have mastitis with DS around 4 months. I attributed it to underwire nursing bra and not changing my breast padas frequently enough. With DD I wore the soft cup bras and didn't have any issues. I do recommend you wear one for sleep because you'll leak all night and end up with wet saucers on your PJs. LOL!
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 6:41pm

The first month is the hardest...so if you can get through that you're gonna be fine!

Yes it can be painful in the begginning, but lanolin cream helps a bunch. They do have nipple shields you can use if the pain is too, but I would caution against using those b/c its hard to get baby to latch on without it later.

Lactation consultants are usually covered with insurance to visit them as often as you need to.

boppy pillow is great! and a couple covers...

breast pads for leakage and at least 2 good night time nursing bras.

if you a planning on pumping extra...you'll need some freezer storage bags.

I recommend the Medela Pumps as well, they have adjustable pumping to whats comfortable for you.I have one and loved it.

I have some loss in sensitivity in my nipples, and am large chested so with the extra weight of breastfeeding they sag a little more now. Nothing a good bra can't handlethough!

ITs all worth it...just do what you can and that's all you can do.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 8:33pm

I bf both of mine. Both for a little over a year. With my first I didn't return to work and didn't have to pump.....ahhhhhh. With my second I returned at three months pp and had to pump.....uhhhhhh. First off, it's not always easy. I found it to be fine, but some people find it a challenge. DON'T give up! I found it rewarding to be able to offer it to my kiddos. Get a good pump, a medela is highly recommend! Esp when you will have to use it daily for a long time. I will be buying one from a consigment sale. It depends on how you feel

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 9:18pm

I nursed DS1 until he was 18 months and am still nursing DS2, who is 13 months, although he's an unreformed biter, so we'll see how much longer it lasts.

Pages