Breastfeeding in public?

iVillage Member
Breastfeeding in public?
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 4:11pm
Just saw a news article that made me wonder what everyone's opinion is on this topic... Hopefully I don't start a mean debate! :-/
Personally, I will not be doing it. I will pump and bring a bottle. But for me, breastfeeding is a bodily function- liquid is coming out of me. If I need to pee I'm not going to be doing it in the corner of the Nordstrom's shoe department! lol Do I care if other women do it? Not really, as long as it isn't full on, pull-your-shirt-down nursing. I don't even particularly want my own hubby to see me feeding my little guy (a fact that upsets him, but, well, it makes me uncomfortable, what can I say...), much less some stranger. But that is MY opinion, and I'm not one of those people who will bash someone else for not agreeing. So, I ask... What is everyone else's opinion on this?

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 4:33pm

I think discretion and awareness of one's surroundings is key. I don't expect a BF'ing mother to have to go into a bathroom stall to feed her baby, but I think patrons of a restaurant have the right to enjoy a meal without having to look at a stranger's breast. I think that with all the cover-ups that are available and many places having nursing lounges now, a woman can descreetly bf in public without it being a show.

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 4:36pm

I would BF my DS in public, but only using a nursing cover.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 4:52pm
Maybe my opinion will change! But I'm also extremely modest (I have, or used to have, one of those huge boobs, decent hips, iiiiitty bitty waist bodies and have gotten years of unwanted attention for it... so I'm hypersensitive about my body), and the thought of someone seeing any of my parts is very bothersome to me. Which makes me feel awful, because I know several moms who are on this campaign of "People should just suck it up and deal!". Meanwhile I'm going... Good for you, and I agree, to a point, but... Ummm what about very modest moms who don't even expose much normally?! Think about the moms too dangit! lol So for me it's more a self-centered thing than a caring if other women do it thing. The news article I saw was that a woman had had the cops called on her last week for "indecent exposure". Come on.... Really? Cops?
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 5:06pm
I did get a nursing cover at my baby shower but if I plan on being out with RJ for a long period of time I will pump and take a bottle. I'm not against those that does it because its natural... as long as they are covered up.. but its not for me. I don't even plan on breastfeeding once I get the pump up and running. Prob the first few weeks I will breastfeed. One day I was in the mall looking at a pretty little small baby getting her ears pierced and all of a sudden the mom whipped out the boooob... and bam started feeding!! Tit out and all!! I was damn near traumtized lol.
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 5:33pm
Jayla... You crack me up!
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 5:43pm

I totally understand being modest.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 6:23pm
In reference to the indecent exposure article, it depends on where you live and the law. Indecent exposure is the deliberate exposure. The laws are different in several countries. Like where I patrol I wouldn't charge a mom for something like that unless I can articulate that she was doing something that was inappropriate. you may even be looking at a lawsuit if u were charge with it. Now I can see a young minded teenage mom or something playing around while breastfeeding doing something foolish in front of her friends and someone sees it and call the police. You will be surprised at some of the crazy things people call the police for.
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 6:40pm

I'm all about BFing wherever I am, but I'm not cool with people who whip it out for all to see!

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 9:12pm
I am completely fine BF in public when you are covered. The image that always comes to mind when I think of that is Michelle Duggar on TV. She is very modest and still manages to BF in public without compromising herself. If she can do it that way that I am 100% fine with it.

What I am not fine with is people like I saw at Disney when I recently went. Standing in the middle of the floor of the aquarium boob out with kids/small children/ other people all around. The worst part is Disney is VERY mother friendly. There are wonderful baby stations with pretty rooms to do just that so she had many options other then grossing me out. And I am a nurse so it takes a lot to make me do a double take but that definitely did.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 12:09am

I will definitely be breastfeeding where ever I am if my baby girl needs to eat. That is her right to eat and my right/obligation to feed her. I will however keep my cover with me at all times and wont just allow my boob to fly out for everyone to see. I think society needs to get over this boobs are sexual objects, or are nasty or whatever. They were put on our bodies to feed our babies, we as humans have made them a sexual object and then freak out at a breastfeeding mother who is doing exactly what they are intended for, silly if you ask me. I am very pro breastfeeding though and it really gripes my a$$ when I read about a mother being asked to go to a bathroom (you know because any of us would eat in a bathroom stall, sick!!) or a mother being harassed for feeding her baby. I am so thankful that my husband sees things the way I do as well and doesn't get all freaked out or squeamish when he sees a nursing mother. Any how, so yes, Adelaide will be breastfed in public under a cover where my boob is not out for everyone to see.

Photobucket

Pages