BTDT Moms...Nobody told me about labor/delivery

iVillage Member
BTDT Moms...Nobody told me about labor/delivery
Sun, 07-24-2011 - 7:59pm

What is something that you just don't read about in the baby books and nobody told you about when it comes to labor and delivery?

What is something you wish you had known about the whole process and you're all the wiser for now?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-24-2011 - 10:19pm
That you don't need to take as much with you to the hospital as you think! I swear when I went to give birth to my DS it looked like DH and I were moving in! A lot of the things I took for myself (Tucks pads, sanitary pads, etc.) I didn't need because my hospital supplied them. And things that I brought for DS I didn't need either (diapers, wipes, creams, binkies). Really all that I needed was something to wear home and something for the baby to wear home, and something to keep me entertained (which is in the form of my laptop, as the hospital has free wifi). This time I will be packing much lighter, but will include some things I didn't use last time (snacks, as the hospital doesn't let you eat while in labor, just in case this labor is longer) and a few things I did use (a few comfy dresses so I could walk around outside my room without showing my butt to everyone for one). Basically, I wish someone had told me not to over pack!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-24-2011 - 10:53pm

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-24-2011 - 11:46pm
The thing I wish somebody had told me is a little tmi, but you'll understand once you're there.

I wish somebody had told me that 1) your body will know when it is ready to push and 2) you will know it's time to push when you feel like you have got to poop and can't hold it any longer. And last, but not least 3) if they tell you it is time to push, have them check your cervix anyway to make sure. I didn't have them do this with my first and I ended up only being about 7 cm when I pushed. Long story short there was lots of tearing I bled out and ended up in emergency surgery. Never be afraid to ask the nurses questions.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 12:12am
Um, after delivery were the big surprse for me...nothing could have prepared me for the hemmroids...they did not last long but it was my first experience with them. Ugh. Witch hazel pads were great.

also, that after delivery I was starving! The had a tray of food and snacks waiting for me in my post pardum room and I ate it ALL!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 7:29am
I've experienced both vaginal and csection deliveries. I was induced for the vaginal delivery and those contractions are intense because they are medically induced and frankly unnatural.
My best advice is for the post partum period. Nobody told me about the baby blues. With both deliveries, the first full day home I got hit with crying jags, anxiety, feelings of hopelessness and inability to sleep. I called and saw my doctor- got put on antidepressant for 3 months and was fine once the meds kicked in. I never had any issues like that before and nobody I knew did either so I felt very alone. My message is taking care of a newborn is hard and don't be afraid to ask for help.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 9:44am

that it was so easy! i spend months watching those baby shows and watching woman screaming and going through this terrible labors and i was so freaked out then when i had my children i felt nothing no pain,didnt need stitches,was up walking around right after. So I wish someone had told me it can go smoothly and painlessly. :)

~JACKIE

MOMMY TO
~TRAVIS JAMES DEAN 12/6/06
~ALAINA NOELLE DEAN 6/30/09 EDD DEC 16TH
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 12:54pm

I totally agree about the baby blues...it can really make you feel nuts. I went from being a career women, to a stay at home FTM and it was so hard. I recommend to FTM's trying to find a playgroup in your area with other women in the same life stage. IT really helps developing a bond with other moms, and will give you playdate options in the future. Try to get out of the house and do normal things as soon as possible. Maybe a baby an me class...just get out of the house! It can be a challenge with breastfeeding etc, but the only way to figure it out is just to jump in!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 1:24pm

I guess I just have little things that I wish I had known - if labor is more than a few hours, the hunger and thirst can be really bad. I kept getting in trouble for trying to shovel large quantities of ice chips in my mouth, but after 18 hours, I was pretty sure I was going to die of dehydration. After delivery, I drank an entire 2 liter of Sprite, which is not something that I drink at all, so I couldn't have really been prepared for that, I guess. The hemmorhoids shocked me too! I had been told that they would be there. I had not been told they would be the size of golf balls. I was scared. Oh, and my blood pressure was high with my first, so I was hooked up to a blood pressure cuff that automatically took my BP every minute or so. You have to stay completely still while it takes your BP or it just squeezes harder and harder until your arm falls off. It is not easy to stay still active labor. I kept ripping it off and got in trouble (again). But I was there to have a baby, not an arm amputated! It went easier with the second because I knew about the BP cuff and froze like a statue every time it beeped.

Also, before I had my first I was terrified of pooping myself while pushing. You read things that say it's not big deal but I was so scared of it. It really is no big deal. I have no idea if I have done it with either of mine, nor do I care. By the end, you're just ready to get the baby out, no matter what comes out with it or who sees what or whatever. It will not be important and you will not care. Seriously. It's the absolute last thing on your mind when you are trying to push out a baby, dying of thirst, and fighting a BP cuff.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 1:39pm
LOL the blood pressure cuff!! Yes, I remember this, I actually had a horrible bruise on my arm after my delivery from this danged thing squeezing me like a boa constrictor for hours while I was in labor.

I had a vaginal delivery and was not mentally or physically prepared for the recovery "down there". I tore all the way through and had to be stitched back together. I didn't know anything about the giant pads I'd have to wear or the stretchy mesh underwear or the fact that the nurses come in at all times of the day and night to pull your panties over and check stitches and blood loss. And using a squirt bottle of warm water to rinse after using the bathroom instead of toilet paper...fun! ;)
Recover with all the stitches was hard because I had a hard time finding a comfortable sitting position and it actually ached for many months. I never did take a mirror to look at it when the stitches were in because I was terrified to see what was down there! I do now have a thick white scar and things are not quite as they were, unfortunately. I plan on talking to my OB/GYN to see if things can get fixed after this delivery and an extra flap of skin that was left there after I was stitched last time can be removed this time around.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-25-2011 - 1:53pm
I was just gonna comment on the pooping thing, lol. I think second to an epidural (which I didn't get) that was what I was most scared of. However, I didn't care at all when I was pushing and out came a bit of poo. And no one said a thing about it. The nurse just took something and wiped it up and we all went about our business. Oh, and it really wasn't a lot at all. It was very very little, so don't worry that you are going to make a huge mess with it!

Also, if the stupid hospital gown starts getting in your way, take the dang thing off! LOL I labor for a while on my knees facing the back of the bed with the head of the bed all the way up. Well, in that position, the hospital gown REFUSED to stay where it was supposed to, lol. So, I told them to get the dang thing off of me! As a result, I gave birth just as naked as my baby was, lol. Seriously though, with my legs up in the air and my hoohaa out for the world to see, what's a couple of bare breasts?

Photobucket

Pages