Bumper Pads???

iVillage Member
Bumper Pads???
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 11:39am

Are you still going to use them in light of the new recommedations form the American Academy of Pediatrics? I need to decided whether to take back the set I got at my shower yesterday.

Maureen (Mom to DD 13, DS 8, and Baby Girl) Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 11:43am
Nope, not going to use one. I work for a catalog company that sells toys and children/baby products and the gal in the Quality Assurance dept told me months ago that this was coming down the pike, so I decided not to buy one then.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 12:48pm
Mine came with my set and while I won't use them in the crib, I'm going to make them into toddler bed pillows or something else crafty.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 1:11pm
It's actually been recommended for a while that they not be used. At least since 2009, anyway, since I had to argue with my DH about not using them with DS (I won, btw). If you like the crib set you got and it has usable items in it (sheets, comforter, etc.) you can always use the bumpers for something else. Cut them apart into panels, stitch up the cut sides, attach a ribbon to the top and use them as wall hangings. Or, as Danielle suggested you can make then into a toddler pillow for use later (which I had never thought of doing!).

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 1:16pm
Through out this entire pregnancy it seems like SIDs keeps coming up. Pretty much the rule of thumb is don't have anything in the crib that is loose and unnecessary. So that means no bumpers, stuffed animals, loose blankets, clothing or fitted sheets.

But as my husband keeps telling me none of this information was avaiable when we were kids and we turned out ok so its really up to what you feel comfortable with. If you really want a bumper they do sell mesh breathable bumpers.... but they aren't pretty.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 1:20pm

I won't use them at the beginning because she will be in our room and not in her crib.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 1:51pm
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 2:36pm

No, we won't be using one. I actually thought it was already recommended by the APA not to use them.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 2:43pm

We just went and got our bedding set this weekend and it did not come with a bumper. I was curious and looked at some of the other sets at Babies R Us and a lot of them are not included anymore. You can buy them seperately. After reading up on it even if it came with the set I don't think I would use it. I'm considering the breathable bumpers but then I heard those haven't been proven safe either, so I'm not sure what to do. She will be rooming with us in a bassinet the first couple of months so I guess I have until then to worry about it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 5:54pm

I'll be the crazy one here I guess...safety in general with babies is all common sense parenting I think. When we were babies our moms were told to put us on our tummies to sleep and now its the opposite. Bumpers have been on/off the table for while. Personally I'll be using one b/c whenever I didn't have one on when DS was a baby and his head hit the cold bed he'd wake up crying...also once he had a whole leg hanging through the bars. So IMO, its at the parents discretion...we're using one. Plus in the beginning with DS we used a wedge to keep baby stable...he can't even roll over and get to the bumper pad let alone be suffocated. Its commom sense...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-31-2011 - 6:10pm

I'm still not 100% about this!! I used them with the other 3, and everything was fine. I however after losing babies and working sooo hard to get Adelaide here, am a bit more nervous now. I guess we will see.

Photobucket

Pages