Christmas- What's Your Strategy?

iVillage Member
Christmas- What's Your Strategy?
Wed, 09-21-2011 - 1:15pm

Hi ladies,

I'm sure that many of you have been thinking about Christmas already.

photo snowsiggy.png

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-21-2011 - 2:13pm

I just started my Christmas shopping this past weekend. There's a local toy warehouse that is only open in the fall leading up to Christmas so I checked it out with my mom. It was awesome and I got a lot of the gifts for my nephews and neices taken care of. I plan to buy and wrap everything by mid-November to make sure I'm all set for Christmas before the baby arrives. I've been trying to find deals on toys and gifts to keep costs down before my mat leave starts.

Trish

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-21-2011 - 2:38pm
I'm due early december, the baby may possibly come in november. The plan was to buy everything in november, but that plan has changed. I will have to take it easy in november, gotta keep little man in there as long as possible. I will start shopping for DD next month. I really don't have a spending limit, but I don't plan on getting too much.
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-21-2011 - 5:27pm

I plan to get everything done as soon as possible -- all the Christmas shopping done by November, if possible, and for once I'm close to getting there!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-21-2011 - 6:34pm
We will be alone at Christmas this year. :( Both sets of our parents will fly out when I go into labor, and my due date is 12/30. Well I guess maybe we won't be alone if he comes a bit early...! lol
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-21-2011 - 7:46pm

I'm going to try to get my shopping done at the beginning of November.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-21-2011 - 8:19pm

I'm shooting for all shopping to be complete by Thanksgiving...(maybe a few black friday purchases) And getting all the wrapping done the week after. I'm due on the 19th so I'd like to have everything taken care of in case we are in the hospital on Christmas day. I don't have a budget set yet... but I'm a big bargain shopper. I also only have 1 child and the new baby...plus a hand full of nieces and nephews to buy for. We usually do "dirty Santa" type gift exchanges with the adults on both sides so that really helps cut down on presents.We are buying a bike and maybe one other big ticket item for DS(plus some smaller items) so plus the other gifts I can't imagine spending over $5-600? Maybe a little more with having to ship everything since we leave away from everyone.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-21-2011 - 8:36pm

I think we are going to have a quiet Christmas. Baby is due on the 21st so I'm hoping he comes on time. I'd love to be home by Christmas. All of our family lives two states away in California so it's just DH and I out here. My mom is planning on flying out after the baby comes so she might just be here for the Holidays. :) As far as gifts I don't really have many people on the list this year, that definately makes for a little less pressure....

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-22-2011 - 12:26pm
Isn't it easier when the gift list is small?? Ours has shrank year by year... Even though we both love to give gifts, we also don't want to spend a ton. This year we really aren't doing anything at all due to me being due right around xmas. However, this did not stop dh's mother from saying we really should drive across town... over an hour from the hospital... Less than a week before my due date... To see a cousin my hubby never talks to who will be in AZ for xmas for the first time ever because "it would be nice". Lectures on politeness from the woman with all the tact of a sledgehammer always make me laugh. :-P
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-22-2011 - 1:32pm
I actually just spent $200 on Toys R' Us online yesterday getting the older two their presents. I think they are pretty well done actually, I'll probably get them some clothes like pj pants and the girl will get a new outfit but that's about it. Toys R' Us was having their Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale and I bought last year too. It worked out perfectly for me because you can mix and match within the sale so I was able to get 3 Wii games, 3 Leapster games, 3 Lego sets and 3 Calico Critter items. This baby is due on the 6th, my son's b-day is the 9th and my nephew's is the 27th, plus Christmas in December so we have a lot of purchases to make and I like to have it all set ahead of time! So all I'll be doing (beside taking care of a newborn!!) will be to wrap it all :)
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-22-2011 - 3:24pm

My plan and what actually happens might be two completely different things. :smileyhappy:

I've started my Christmas shopping now - my DH is done. Still have our parents, siblings, and nieces and nephew to do. My goal is to have it completed by Thanksgiving. At least all the presents bought. I'm due early December so as long as I have things purchased, I should have time to wrap while I'm home off work. But like I said, we'll see what actually happens!

Pages