Delivery room visitors during labor?

iVillage Member
Delivery room visitors during labor?
Mon, 10-24-2011 - 12:36pm
I know this already has been covered, but just wondering... As things get closer, has everyone decided on who will be in the delivery room during labor?
I will be kicking everyone but hubby out during the hard pushing phase, and probably will only allow MY parents in during the beginning stages, if they are even here in time- both sets of parents are out of state. Hubby's parents aren't even sure they'll come out immediately since I informed them they won't be in the delivery room (they're mad at me for it)... Not my problem! Lol
Anyone else made the "final" decision? How did everyone take it? I know my parents were a bit upset at not being in for the pushing phase, but they at least respect the decision and got over it.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-24-2011 - 12:48pm

Since I'm having a c-section my decision was easy - only DH is allowed in the room.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-24-2011 - 1:05pm
I don't really get much say since I'm having a c/s. DH will join the army of nurses, doctors and whomever else hangs out during surgery. Olivia's delivery included my OB, a surgeon, an anesthesiologist, a bevy of nurses and students. I was not thrilled about the students but no one asked if that was ok. DH flipped out when he heard someone say "no, the uterus goes over here."

I can't imagine that, if I were to have a vaginal delivery, I'd want anyone besides DH there. My tolerance for pain is high but my tolerance for an audience on anything is low.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-24-2011 - 1:18pm
Just DH and my doula. My mom was less than thrilled that she wasn't going to be in there, but frankly, she would just stress me out!
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-24-2011 - 1:20pm

Just me and my hubs in the delivery room, My family is coming in from out of town...but who knows if they be here when the baby comes. Even so just us two...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-24-2011 - 2:01pm

Just my DH in the pushing phase. If there's a period of time where we're kind of just "hanging out" and I'm comfortable enough then maybe my sister and my parents will stop in if I'm up for it. But when it's go-time it will be just us. Unless, of course, he hits the floor then my sister will jump in since she's on stand-by. :smileyvery-happy:

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-24-2011 - 2:28pm
Now because I have a five year old in school and three younger siblings in school, if I go into labor anytime after school hours my mother won't make it. But if its the weekend my mother and DH will be in the delivery room. My younger sister will have DD in the waiting area.
Community Leader
Mon, 10-24-2011 - 4:06pm

Whoever wants to be there, honestly, as long as it's a female or a medical professional.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-25-2011 - 5:01am
Personal family wise my sister and DH. I really think during that point my sister will be much more helpful then my DH. I have also already told my DH I would be more then fine with a student nurse in there. I was once in their shoes I know how boring it can be when all the moms refuse. Plus if we don't train new nurses for labor and delivery who will be there next time, lol.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-25-2011 - 11:00am

As long as everything goes as planned, Just my hubby and the medical staff.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-25-2011 - 11:17am
When I delivered my first, I was adamant that only my husband-of-the-time be there. Well, he was honestly no help at all. I know he was exhausted from working all day, but he fell asleep and was snoring so loudly the nurses kept running down the hall to check on me because they thought I was making the noise! Very embarrassing... I ended up pushing for 3.5 hours and he was up and helping at that point it would have been nice to have him helping me during the painful laboring process before they gave me the epidural.
This time around with new hubby, he's much more supportive, though I'm also worried about him getting tired after a long day at work, so I guess it depends on when we get to the hospital (hopefully after a weekend when he's well rested LOL!). I have told his mom & my mom they can be in the delivery room but I will let them know beforehand that I have the choice at any time to kick them out if I deem necessary!!
Photobucket

Pages