Diaper Pail?

iVillage Member
Diaper Pail?
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 7:21pm

Does anyone have recommendations for a good diaper pail?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: scmommy8
Wed, 08-24-2011 - 6:59pm

Maybe I'll have to try the Arm & Hammer one out then.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2011 - 6:12pm
From what I understand, the arm and hammer one is great... Heard so many good things I registered for it.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2011 - 1:28pm
I had the orignal Diaper Champ for Olivia but gave it away when she was PTed. The new version is getting really bad reviews so I won't be buying a new one. My friend gave me her unused Diaper Genie II (?) and a set of bags. I'll give it a shot and, if it gets to be too much of a PITA or stinks, I'll toss it and get a regular trash can.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2011 - 12:24pm

Great question Allison!!

We have always found that our Diaper Genie II does NOT contain smell very well at all. We even bought this new (most things we bought used) and it just doesn't cut it. I feel horrible that Evan's room always smells bad. Even if there is just one diaper in there, it still stinks. Sooooo frustrating. I even spray it with Lysol every time I empty it.

Maybe it's just time to get rid of it?

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-24-2011 - 11:01am
Well, I had a Diaper Champ but used it untraditionally. I used cloth diapers and just lined it with a laundry bag and a sprinkling of baking soda at the bottom. I had to wash the diapers every 2 days, so I guess they weren't sitting around long enough, I never had an odor problem.
I think I recently read about a diaper pail that has a carbon filter inside. Even just some charcoal briquettes might help (put them in the sun and then inside the bottom of the pail and occassionally back out in the sun to "recharge").
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 10:14pm

Honestly, I think they are a bit of a waste. I just used a regular pail with a lid, and if it was a poopy diaper bagged in a grocery sack and threw in the garbage in the garage. I just sacked up the diaper pail every other day so it wouldn't smell, and I also used scented bags or the arm&hammer ones.

Photobucket