Epidural Question - Walking epidural?

iVillage Member
Epidural Question - Walking epidural?
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 3:59pm

My DH and I took a birthing class this week (the info was pretty general but all in all helpful;

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 8:59am

The hospital where I'm delivering is the one hospital in our area who does them. Also, I should have clarified - they're called walking epidurals but the hospital doesn't actually allow you to walk up and down the halls for risk of falls, etc. You can, however, walk around your room provided someone's there to assist and you still get up and do the balls, etc. The

I actually had a doc appt last night and was able to ask my doc about it. She said they sound better than they actually are, whcih was kind of disappointing. She said because the dose is low enough for you to stay mobile, most women don't find them to provide enough comfort. She said they would support my decision if I wanted to try one first, but she didn't want me to get my hopes up that these things are the "best of both worlds."

Would still love to hear from others who might have personal experience with them though...

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 12:11am

I have never had one either, however I would love to hear from others that have. I'm a bit curious/interested even though I plan to go all natural.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 9:06pm
No experience having one however make sure your hospital will actually do them. Mine wont. The reason for that is because as far as I understand it is simply a lower dose of the epidural medication. Which means you still have an increased chance of unsteady gait/falls. Our instructor stated the hospital I am birthing at that will not take the risk as obviously falling at any time is not good but especially when pregnant. I would love to hear though the specifics from anyone who has had one!

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009