Extended Breastfeeding

iVillage Member
Extended Breastfeeding
Mon, 05-20-2013 - 4:06pm

Like fellow celeb-mom/attachment-parent advocate Mayim Bialik, who is a scientist as well as an actress, McKellar has gone on to explore more left-brain-friendly pursuits as an adult. At 38, she has written four math books for middle schoolers. Draco was a baby while she was working on her most recent title (Girls Get Curves: Geometry Takes Shape), so McKellar said she got comfortable typing with one hand and nursing with the other, and told GMA that she used to say "The only type of formula I use is in a math book."

While comments like that may lead to some bloggers giving McKellar the "sanctimommy" label, she made it clear on the morning show, as well as over on her own blog, that what she advocates is tolerance. In the same way that Bialik defended attachment parenting after TIME Magazine ran last year's cover image of Jamie Lynn Grumet nursing her 4-year-old, McKellar aims to support fellow mothers who choose extended breastfeeding.

"I know there can be judgment out there, and I encourage moms to do whatever feels right," she writes on her site. "And if they choose to breastfeed longer than is "typical," I say this to them: You go girl!"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/17/danica-mckellar-breastfeeding_n_3294480.html?utm_hp_ref=parents&ir=Parents

I love Danica!  I loved her as Winnie and I love her now.  It's so good to see celebs stand up for extended breastfeeding! Are you still breastfeeding your little one?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-28-2013 - 8:15pm

I am still breastfeeding my Snickerdoodle. We hit 18 months on the 16th, and still going strong. I have had to decrease the number of times I allow him to nurse, though, because there are times that he literally wants to nurse every 5-10 minutes and it was starting to get to me, lol. He's nursing about 4-5 times in a day now, and that feels about right for the both of us. At this point, I don't know when we will stop. My original plan was to make it to a year. I don't have a plan anymore! We'll go as long as we both want to!

Photobucket