First Birthday Food!

iVillage Member
First Birthday Food!
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 9:48am
Ladies I need help so as you know RJ was born two weeks early and came the week of Thanksgiving. His birthday this year is the day after thanksgiving Nov 23 rd and his party will be on Nov 25th. I have no clue as to what type of food to serve. Don't want it to heavy!! There will be adults and children there. Usually I'm good at this kinda stuff. The theme is The Backyardagins. What type of big and small food should I have at a 1st bday party?
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 10:11pm

I like to be sure to have something for the little ones...cheese puffs, baby puffs, goldfish, etc to munch on. I tend to do something easy or avoid "meal" times! THings like hot dogs and chips or BBQ sandwiches and chips aren't to bad if you want a meal. Or just do finger stuff.....wings, meatballs, chips, crackers, cheese cubes, finger sandwiches...just some ideas.

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 1:55pm
My DH and I were just discussing this yesterday. We are probably going to do fajitas because we can prepare the meats/peppers/onions the day before and then put in large trays that can be reheated just before the party. Then just set out the tortillas, salsa, sour cream, etc and everyone can make their own food.
I have made sandwich rings in the past which is super-easy too! If you get two of the Pillsbury bread loafs and then put them on a pizza stone or baking sheet in a circle (squish the ends of each together so they seal into a circle). Brush them with egg white and some herbs and bake them in the oven. Then just slice the bread horizontally, layer with meat/cheese/tomato/lettuce and drizzle with Italian salad dressing and slice them into pieces. We pile chips into the middle of the sandwich ring and those are ALWAYS a hit!
I have also done pork in a crockpot with some BBQ sauce and then just offer buns & coleslaw for everyone to make sandwiches, that's another easy one :smileyhappy:
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 6:53pm

I think you can serve pretty much anything.  For DS's first birthday we grilled hamburgers and chicken, and had pasta salad, fruit salad, and of course cake.  This time I'm leaning more towards a "dessert" party and just having a variety of different sweets.  I figure it's mainly for adutls b/c most of the kids that will be there will be a year or younger.  That being said, I'll make sure to have some kid-friendly finger foods.

Photobucket