First foods

iVillage Member
First foods
Sun, 04-22-2012 - 8:37am
Nathan has taken to his rice cereal like a pro so we're moving on to the next food. I'm thinking avocado. What are some others that people are going to try?

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: r38016
Wed, 04-25-2012 - 12:41pm
I started my oldest on solids when he was about 4 months old. He didn't have any digestive issues (constipation) until he started drinking milk so we switched to soy at that point. He only drank soy for about 6 months and then was fine with regular milk.
I'd not heard that about a link to starting solids earlier and childhood obesity. My oldest is one of the best eaters I know in regards to trying foods and liking everything. He has a very broad palate. And not even a little chubby, he's very slim and he prefers fruit to sweets.
I wonder if the link is environmental, like parents who are overweight are just overfeeding baby too? I mean, I'm heavy myself but I've always allowed the child to dictate how much they want to eat (I don't force them, I give them reasonable portions and healthy food choices).
I started Dillon the same age as I did with Ian and so far, so good. Dillon isn't refusing anything, he's liking vegetables as much as fruit and he's opening his mouth to take bites. I'm keeping an eye out for any digestive troubles, but he's not had any. He's still having regular BM. I'm hoping that he has the same palate as Ian and will eat anything :)
Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to: r38016
Wed, 04-25-2012 - 9:40pm

I'm sure some of it is environmental and possibly genetic predisposition, b/c my DS is super lean and like I said, I started him on cereal at 4 months.

Photobucket

Pages