Flu Shot?

iVillage Member
Flu Shot?
Fri, 09-30-2011 - 6:51pm

So I went to my midwife today and at the end of my appointment she said they recommend getting the flu shot in pregnancy during these winter months. I've never gotten the flu shot and am very selective in general about vaccines...what are your thoughts? And has your doc or midwife suggested for you?

Anyone gotten it already? Any side effects?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 2:04pm
I plan on getting one. Ever since my oldest was born I have gotten the flu at least once every year. I got it bad when pregnant with my second and ended up needing iv fluids. Two years ago I got the swine flu from my students (it was going around the high school like crazy) and ended up missing 2 weeks of work plus ended up getting pneumonia along with it. About 2 months after I got over that I ended up with the seasonal flu as well. I think since becoming a mom and a teacher my immune system has become really weak. This far into my pregnancy I don't want to risk getting the flu really bad again.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 11:48pm

I will be getting one. I also work in healthcare and get one every year. And with the baby coming in December, I agree that it's best to protect the baby. FWIW, I got the flu when I was 8 mos pregnant with my first child and it is TERRIBLE! Do not want to go through that again.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2011 - 2:47pm
yes, I will absolutely get one. I've gotten a flu shot every year and never had any side effects. My son will get one for sure and I'd like to make sure my stepdaughter gets one but I think I'll have my DH take her for that. She is Autistic so reasoning with her on WHY she needs one is a challenge and she doesn't "do" medication or shots without putting up a huge fight!
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-06-2011 - 12:51pm

I got my flu shot on Monday and I'm happy to report not one side effect!

Pages