Flu Shots?

iVillage Member
Flu Shots?
Sat, 09-10-2011 - 9:20am
Has anyones dr brought up flu shots? I plan to ask at my 28 week appt on Tuesday but wondering if anyone has already discusses?
Maureen (Mom to DD 13, DS 8, and Baby Girl) Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-15-2011 - 4:17pm

I got my flu shot last week. My doctor strongly recommended it. No negative side effects whatsoever. I wanted it not only for me but for the residual effects for the baby since everything I've read says it can help them for the first six months before they're immune systems are strong enough to fight it on their own.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-15-2011 - 4:59pm
I've gotten the flu shot every year for many many years and have never had an adverse side affect. Before I started getting the flu shot I would get the flu at least once a year and it was horrible (bed ridden for a week, vomiting, chills, etc). Also my dad has terminal cancer & I've had meningitis so being a person (or being around a person) with a compromised immune system means that you don't want to catch something that might possibly be prevented.

I definitely believe that if you are going to get any shots (or give them to your children), that person should be in good health. If your immunity is already down, getting the shot probably won't help and you will be more succeptible to getting sick. Also, many of these shots don't cover every single virus and that might be why you would get the shot and possibly still get sick.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-15-2011 - 9:00pm
I brought it up also at 28 week appt. Doctor said to go ahead and get it now. Also said that the hospital will give the Tdap (Whooping cough) vaccine immediately after delivery.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-15-2011 - 9:02pm
Allison - I'm the exactly opposite of you with this baby. I normally don't get it, but I had the swine flu really bad and missed 2 weeks of work. Plus, my friend lost her little boy to swine flu that year and he was 7 years old. With the students I work with (severely handicapped) who I have to remind to wash their hands before eating since they just went to the bathroom, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Every year I end up with the flu so bad I end up needing iv fluids.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-16-2011 - 10:02pm
My 12 year old has asthma so the flu shot has always been recommended for her so both kids get them. I did skip one year and the three of us caught the dreaded flu and it was awful! I don't believe getting the flu shot has impacted the strength of our immune systems overall. My kids rarely get sick actually and neither of them has missed a day of school or even been on antibiotics for a couple years.

Now hopefully we can keep that streak going :)
Maureen (Mom to DD 13, DS 8, and Baby Girl) Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-16-2011 - 10:10pm
My doctor said they would call as soon as they got their flu shots in. I definitely plan to get one.

Pages