Has anyone.......

iVillage Member
Has anyone.......
Fri, 05-20-2011 - 9:36am
Had a water birth? I am interested in doing one with this one because I have back labour, but my one concern is for the baby once it comes out. I read that it can't be touched, and no part of the body but the head can surface first or it will bypass it's dive reflex. The only thing holding me back from this is the risk of baby breathing in water. Any one with advice I'd love to hear...
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-20-2011 - 11:41am
I have not had a water birth, nor do I ever plan to. However, I believe the baby does not breathe anything until it is exposed to the air. I mean, think about it, the baby is leaving a warm water environment to another warm water environment. It wouldn't be shocked into breathing until it feels the cool air. Also, my babies didn't breathe until their mouths were suctioned by the doctor anyway.

Heidi
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-20-2011 - 4:12pm

I have not had a water birth either, and don't intend to...however I can see the appeal. I labored a lot with DS in the shower or tub and it is amazing how it eases the contractions w/out drugs.

I would find a midwife that does homebirths,she could answer a lot of your questions.

Photobucket