Hospital visitation policies

iVillage Member
Hospital visitation policies
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 10:43am

I was thinking ahead to the big day and realized the hospitals here do not allow visitors under 12 during flu season. I think I'll be in for 3 days and I've never been away from her (She'll be 6 by the time the baby comes.) for that long. I might just have to have DH meet me in the lobby with her.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 11:24am
My hospital has a 2-hour window each day where siblings can come in to visit. However, they have to check in at the nurses station so they can make sure they are healthy.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 11:59am

I guess I'm going to have to double check with my hospital, but when I was there having DS there were no sort of visitation policies that I was aware of.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 12:04pm
Hmmm, I'm not sure if my hospital has any restrictions on visitation or not. All the mom/baby rooms are private rooms, though, so they don't have to worry about a kid getting someone's baby sick, at least. Guess I'll need to check this out too, because I WILL have my son come and see me and the new baby.

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 1:05pm

Hm.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 9:33pm

I'm not sure actual policy but where I will deliver my sil just had her 3rd baby this past February and her almost 2 year old son was there almost all day. SOoooo I don't have any real concerns for my kids not being able to visit....they WILL, lol. I dk if it makes the diff or not but our rooms are also private. I also am pretty sure there aren't any specific visiting hours. I also know my family will be respectful and not try and stay all night. I think I actually wouldn't mind though if there were specifics for guests other than immediate family bc I remember the overwhelming feelings of to many guests, or those who stay to long or want to hold my brand new baby when I want it, etc.

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 9:46pm
Only siblings under 12 are allowed in for visitation. But the hours are the regular family times. I think 9am-8pm. Then non family is 11am-8pm.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 10:10pm

I double-checked and my hospital has no specific visitation hours at all, or restrictions.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2011 - 7:45am

oh no, I can't imagine that. Thank goodness our hospital is not like that. My neighbor had her baby last march and both of her other children (8) and (5) where there all day and all night. We will also have a private room. I wonder if the difference for us is that we are on an Army post and its an Army hospital, because all the hospitals outside of post have that rule, about the whole hospital. Not just the L&D and mommy & baby ward.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2011 - 9:52am
I just checked my hospital's website, and their visiting hours are 9am-9pm, but they don't have any restrictions on age or flu season. The only thing they ask is that anyone who has the flu, measles, chicken pox, etc., please not visit because some patients aren't able to fight off illnesses.
The hospital I deliver at is strictly a women's and baby hospital, and I love it! On the visitation instruction page it does say that they understand the importance of visitors to patient health and recovery. Oh, and one more restriction is that only one person can be in the labor/delivery triage area. Once the mom is moved the Labor and Delivery floor, she can have more visitors. I don't think I would be able to stand a hospital telling me that I couldn't see my child while I was there!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2011 - 10:34am
Yesterday, I had a check up and I happened to be at the office across from the hospital where I'll deliver. (My Dr. has 3 offices in 3 small towns.) So, I went and asked about the policy and they said it just depends on how bad the flu season is. All the rooms are private and the OB floor doesn’t have set visitation hours. Frankly, as much as hospitals charge, I’m surprised that all rooms are not private. It was just shy of $28,000 for my 1st c/s and only $2800 of that was my OB’s charge.
Photobucket