How to decorate for a boy?

iVillage Member
How to decorate for a boy?
Fri, 07-29-2011 - 3:40pm

I don't really like themes. Olivia's nursery "theme" was garden which translated to a lot of floral vintage items and my baskets. I am a vintage girly girl so most of my things are floral or fruit. I know the walls are going to be yellow and green and I have an awesome folk painting of Little Boy Blue but I'm stumped for ideas. I'm a little sad as look around this room at all the things I need to take down: tablecloths used as valances, a green& pink cat pitcher mobile that I made, my Grandma's good pink floral china plates, and the lace sheers. (I'll move the lace sheers to Olivia's room as not to be wasteful even though she really needs white and not cream.) Thanks for the ideas, girls!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-29-2011 - 3:44pm

Since your vintage girly and like floral, why not go more forest instead of meadow. lol.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-29-2011 - 3:55pm

Ever check outEtsy? If look up baby boy bedding or decor...you mayget some good ideas. I've seen some cute vintage-y owl motifs that could go boy for sure. OR maybe a countryside farm kinda thing...

If you really don't want a theme you can find some basic bedding that goes with your wall color and maybe decorate with vintage toys? Like old trucks and vintage wooden toys, sock monkey, you know some of the classics...could be cute.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-29-2011 - 6:40pm

I totally agree with PP about the forest motif. Modern & vintage

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-29-2011 - 8:05pm
What about the alphabet? Some letters everywhere, I saw a cute alphabet (I really feel like I am not spelling this right.......sorry I am a terrible speller!) stuff the other day. However I had already settled on a Disney animal theme (Dumbo, Lion King, etc).

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-29-2011 - 10:57pm
Ohhh, good stuff so far! I really like the idea of vintage toys and alphabet. No sock monkeys though-creepy!

My friend tried to do owls and only found stuff that was overpriced or too feminine. The pink bedding set I just gave away had owls & trees on it it. Too cute.

Simple is good! The nursery is too small for a real bed so we'll have move by the time he's outgrown the toddler bed.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 12:29pm

I can't recommend Etsy enough, a lot of the sellers there are willing to do custom orders if you don't find exactly the colors you need. I sell my handmade children's clothing on Etsy and frequently receive custom requests.

My husband is an avid fisherman, so I'm going with an ocean theme. I was seeing a lot of pastels which I was trying to avoid (harder to transition into a "big boy" room), so I settled on turquoise & red with accents in orange, lime green and cream. I am making a quilt, bed skirt, hooded towels, fabric covered baskets, Minkie-backed baby blankets and a pillow for my chair.

This is the main themed fabric that I'm going to use. I've had this fabric laying around for 5 years and I'm so glad I didn't use it for anything because it will work perfectly in the room!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/juliebutterfly2000/blog/009-8.jpg[/IMG]

Here is my blog link too, I'm going to update on my nursery process :)
http://paintedbutterflystudio1.blogspot.com/

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-01-2011 - 2:25pm
What a great idea, Julie! Your fabric is darling!
DH found some ME bee fabric I bought a million years ago and now he wants me to do a bee theme. (He's a beekeeper.) Something so specific makes me feel too boxed in though.
Photobucket