I burned my stomach yesterday - 2nd degree hot water burns :(

iVillage Member
I burned my stomach yesterday - 2nd degree hot water burns :(
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 12:02pm

We were at my parent's house last night and I was helping my mom make dinner. I'd put the spaghetti into the boiling water and had the plastic spork to stir it. I lifted the spaghetti out of the pot to separate, have done this a hundred times before. Of course, this time the spaghetti fell off the spork in one huge drop and a tidal wave of hot water splashed out of the pot, directly onto my stomach.

I jumped back and I must have been screaming because my dad & my husband Danny ran in from outside. I immediately pulled my steaming wet shirt off my body, I felt like I was on fire. I was hopping up and down, crying. Danny was telling me it was going to be okay. I heard my dad say to Danny, "It's already blistered".

They got me to the sofa and my dad stuck an ice pack with a dish rag onto my bare stomach. Not the best idea because immediately the dish rag stuck to my blistered skin. Danny had already grabbed Neosporin, gauze & tape from the medicine cabinet and started bandaging me up. Oh my goodness, my skin was sizzling. I could see two quarter-sized popped blisters on my stomach. After he put on the gauze, I was able to put the ice back on it and numb the area a little bit. My mom pulled out the medical book and we read that cool water is best to run over a burn immediately afterwards, but that would have been difficult unless they'd stuck me in the shower! It says to cover with gauze and keep dry for 24 hours and then replace the gauze, use aloe vera and vitamin E to heal. Of course, I starting getting tight contractions for about an hour afterwards, probably from the stress and me jumping around.

He realized later that there was another cropping of blisters farther down on my stomach where I couldn't see and he put gauze and tape there, too.

I took some Tylenol before bed and the pain was okay, only aching when I rolled over to switch sides when I went to bed. This morning, the bottom gauze was loose so I took it off to change it. The area is full of unpopped blisters and the skin is hot pink. I couldn't remove the upper gauze where the bigger blisters are because the gauze is stuck to the skin :( I have a bright red stripe about 7" up the front of my stomach.

Fortunately it's not hurting and I'll just keep an eye on the area to see how everything heals up in a few days. The baby is still moving a lot which is reassuring. Of course he's pushing right up against the raw skin and that's when it hurts. I can't believe it was my stomach of all places...why couldn't it have been my arm or something :(

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
I know, I do expect to continue to wear the bandages for a while. We got a good look at the burns yesterday when my DH changed the dressing. It's looking SO MUCH better and not in as much discomfort (very itchy though!). I'll make sure to get to the nurses' clinic in the next few days and ask them questions, including what I should be putting on the wounds to aid the healing.
Photobucket

Pages