Its been a long couple of weeks :(

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-05-2004
Its been a long couple of weeks :(
19
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 1:22am

Sooo on November 3rd I found out that I have gestation diabetes. Well, they sent a referral over to the gestational diabetes specialist that day and they (GD specialist) sat on it until NOW, I have my first appointment on Monday to get all of my stuff, start my daily testing and diet. This all after my Dr appointment on the 22nd, when I told my Dr and she called and ripped into them because the office marked it as urgent as I am so far along at this point. Anyhow, that appointment went HORRIBLE!! She is already throwing c-section at me because she *THINKS* the baby might be too big. UGH, I am having NO PART OF IT AT ALL!! I delivered an 8lb 14oz HUGE shoulder boy in 2-3 pushes with no issues, I'm sure I will be able to get Adelaide out. I have an U/S on the 23rd to measure her size (which could be off by 2lbs or more) and IF they THINK she will be over 9.5 lbs they are going to try to shove a c-section on me, which I will absolutely REFUSE. I demand that they at least allow me to try to do it naturally first, this isn't my first go around and I have done it 3 times over with big babies. My body was made to deliver big babies. I get them out in 3 pushes tops.

Any how, so she had me start non stress tests, twice a week to make sure Addie is doing ok because of the GD thing. Well today was my first non stress test where we found out that I am contracting every 3-4 mins. I was SHOCKED!!! I knew I was contracting but I didn't realize that close and regular. So the Dr there at the hospital said, we will see you next week for your 2 NSTs and then I'm betting the next week when we see you will be because you are in labor. YAY!! I'm hoping I go into labor the first week of December. I refuse to have a c-section. The thought makes me a sick nervous wreck, to the point I would do something stupid like when I go into labor not go to the hospital until the last min, OR if when I see my Dr again on the 29th and she starts trying to back me into a corner with this whole c-section thing, I might just switch Drs. Something I don't want to do but will if I absolutely have to.

So that's my update, I have felt so disconnected and scared since she said c-section and she kept throwing still birth and perm damage around (which I think was to scare me). She kept saying still birth over the GD thing and them sitting on it forever (why you would say that to a mother who has had losses recently I don't know) so when I got home I did some research and the %ing of still birth is soooo low. Then she kept trying to scare me into forcing me to have a c-section by saying that I WILL break Addies clavicle bone and it WILL cause perm damage, again I came home and started researching that heck out of that. That break is such a common break and heals very easily and the chances of perm damage are so low. I feel like she is just trying to scare me to death so I will be a "Yes girl" and just do as she says so she can quickly take me to the OR, slice me open get Addie out and make more money. So irritating and has had me a mess. My poor DH, I have spent many sine crying myself to sleep. I just want Addie to be here and ok and I don't want to feel all this extra stress from my Dr which ISN'T good for me, Addie or my sugar levels, I guess stress makes it worse.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-26-2011
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 7:26am

I would have had the exact same reaction as you in every sort of way in regards to the C-section. I know they're common, but the thought of one scares me to the point where just thinking about having one makes me want to cry! I will be sending some good thoughts and prayers your way and just keep staying strong! People birth slightly large babies all the time and this is certainly not your first rodeo...and you're right - the late sizing ultrasounds can be off by as much as 2lbs! Don't let them scare you and stand your ground on trying to go naturally. If you've given it everything, but still have to have a c-section, then at least you know you did all you could within your power. *Hugs*

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-21-2007
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 8:58am

I don't feel that you are wrong at all! You are right that the chance of all those bad things your doctor mentioned are so low, many of them not even a 1% chance. I hate hearing about doctors who use those scare tactics to try to force someone into a c-section. The rate of c-section here in the US is higher than pretty much anywhere else in the world! And the "the baby will be too big" con is just stupid. A woman's body, regardless of size (well, ok, someone who is a "little person" may be different, but an average woman) is perfectly capable of vaginally delivering up to a 10 pound some odd ounce baby! One of my DH's baby's (not mine, though) was 10 pounds 5 ounces, birthed vaginally with no epidural or meds.



Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 12-09-1999
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 9:29am

FWIW, c-sections aren't the end of the world-especially if it means a safe & healthy delivery. IMO, she's just doing her job because a huge portion of a Dr's job nowadays is to avoid lawsuits. She's paying a fortune for medical malpractice insurance so she can keep her license. She's done a good job for you on the past so please keep that in mind. With as much fluid as you're carrying, it's unlikely they'll get a good reading and, as long as the baby looks fine, you should be given a chance to attempt labor. I would be beyond pissed about the GD situation though. That's insane!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2003
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 10:54am

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-05-2004
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 12:33pm
Meow_Mamma wrote:

I would have had the exact same reaction as you in every sort of way in regards to the C-section. I know they're common, but the thought of one scares me to the point where just thinking about having one makes me want to cry! I will be sending some good thoughts and prayers your way and just keep staying strong! People birth slightly large babies all the time and this is certainly not your first rodeo...and you're right - the late sizing ultrasounds can be off by as much as 2lbs! Don't let them scare you and stand your ground on trying to go naturally. If you've given it everything, but still have to have a c-section, then at least you know you did all you could within your power. *Hugs*

Yeah as soon as she said "c-section" my BP shot through the roof, even DH could tell because my whole face turned red and I got super hot and had to take off my sweater. I'm sure she seen the change as well and that's when she went into the scare tactics.

EXACTLY, I will know when it comes to pushing if I will be able to get her out or not, if for some reason she is not out in 30 mins MAX I will know its not going to work and I will then go back to the OR and at least KNOW I did everything in my power to do it naturally.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-05-2004
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 12:40pm
greeneggs1082 wrote:

I don't feel that you are wrong at all! You are right that the chance of all those bad things your doctor mentioned are so low, many of them not even a 1% chance. I hate hearing about doctors who use those scare tactics to try to force someone into a c-section. The rate of c-section here in the US is higher than pretty much anywhere else in the world! And the "the baby will be too big" con is just stupid. A woman's body, regardless of size (well, ok, someone who is a "little person" may be different, but an average woman) is perfectly capable of vaginally delivering up to a 10 pound some odd ounce baby! One of my DH's baby's (not mine, though) was 10 pounds 5 ounces, birthed vaginally with no epidural or meds.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-05-2004
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 1:02pm
sunrenay wrote:

FWIW, c-sections aren't the end of the world-especially if it means a safe & healthy delivery. IMO, she's just doing her job because a huge portion of a Dr's job nowadays is to avoid lawsuits. She's paying a fortune for medical malpractice insurance so she can keep her license. She's done a good job for you on the past so please keep that in mind. With as much fluid as you're carrying, it's unlikely they'll get a good reading and, as long as the baby looks fine, you should be given a chance to attempt labor. I would be beyond pissed about the GD situation though. That's insane!

Yeah the GD situation really just pisses me off, its bad enough we had to wait on friggin tricare (military insurance) to approve for me to be seen by a "specialist" AKA OBGYN. I had to go get a referral from a PCP to go to my OB and then tricare sat on that forever so when we got here I was 26-27 weeks or so and at the right time for the glucose test that had to be put on hold waiting on the referrals to come through till about 3 weeks ago. So now this has been going on untreated for too long and then the GD people sit on it for forever. UGH. NIGHTMARE. Good thing I don't just research things the Dr says but I also came right home and started researching the GD diet and all kinds of stuff and got right on it. They checked my blood yesterday at the hospital after I had breakfast at home and my #s were good, so hopefully I'm doing a good job at keeping it under control myself for now.

I know a c-section isn't the end of the world but for me it would be at this point if I didn't at least get to try, esp being that I have birthed HUGE babies in the past and did excellent. I have no issues getting them out. I think this is where most of my frustration with her is coming from, I have done this before and I think she is jumping the gun. I think she is also over correcting for a HUGE HUGE HUGE mistake she made recently and let a baby die, again IMHO she was being lazy and brushed the mother and her concerns off and had a term baby die (The baby's heart rate was waaaay low at her appointment and the mother was concerned about it, said something to Dr and my Dr just said "Oh that's normal at the end" with out ordering an U/S or anything to make sure everything was ok, days later baby stopped moving, mom had an U/S and baby had passed due to a heart defect that could have been corrected if she would have delivered baby right then, I know this because someone I went to school with works at the office). Now she is over correcting, which I don't think is fair to me. If for some reason I can not get Addie out (and I will know right away, because of how easy it is for me to birth) then I would definitely be ready to say lets go to the OR, because I do not want anything to happen to her, but I also feel like I deserve a fair chance. Esp with c-sections being major abdominal surgery and having 3 kids at home already and stairs in my house. Recovery would be so much easier if I can do it vaginally. When she measured me at my last appointment I was measuring at 42 weeks :-/ but I really believe I still have quite a bit of water in there, Addie is still VERY active. So hopefully that is a lot of water measurement. We'll see. Also as for the past, yeah she was an excellent Dr. Now though, she is different. I don't why but she just doesn't seem like she even wants to be there. It's weird. Almost like doing her job isn't a passion any more its just a JOB. Even DH noticed it and doesn't like her very much any more. Sadly I think I made a huge mistake by going back to her. I have stuck around because I love the staff and the NP. My mom who also LOVED her in the past is not too thrilled with her. :(

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-05-2004
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 1:17pm
r38016 wrote:

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2003
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 4:10pm
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-22-2009
Fri, 11-18-2011 - 4:52pm

I'm so sorry to hear you have been dealing with all of this!

Photobucket

Pages