Just curious WWYD in my shoes...work or not?

iVillage Member
Just curious WWYD in my shoes...work or not?
Mon, 09-19-2011 - 12:36pm

I just wonder what you girls would do here. I kind of have the option to not return to work after this child is born. I will have 3 in childcare if I do return, although at this point we receive assistance so my fee should not change much if at all. If I chose not to work we will have less money but we are already tight now. My car will be paid off the end of next week so that alleviates a bill of 400 dollars each month. With that said the way things are now I'd only be out approximately 300 bucks a month if I quit work. I thought of seeing if I could work afternoons to make up that difference and still be able to keep the kids at home with me, but until we can get another car, prob tax time, I won't be able to do that with my dh work schedule. I'd much rather be at home with my kids. Chloe will go to kindergarten next fall so it'd give me some time home with her and some time off for her as well as keep me home with my new baby and son. I bf so I wouldn't have to pump :)))) I know what I'm leaning towards, it's just the money that scares me. I think work would always take me back if they needed me but getting the kids back in would be heck. WWYD!?

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !

Pages

iVillage Member

I have always found that even when less money comes in for whatever reason-it just winds up working out somehow.

Proud mama of Tiffany(10), Nathan(9),

iVillage Member
I'd jump on the chance to stay home but, quite frankly, I don't find my job rewarding or fulfilling. In my fantasy world, I'd work PT at a job I loved.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

Jill, if ur DH is ok with u staying home, then i will also say give it a shot, things will work out in the long run, your babies r more important, and one thing, since u can always go back to ur job, give it a try. the time we spend with our kids r always priceless.

KELLY THANKS FOR THE BEAUTIFUL SIG
iVillage Member
Well, it doesn't seem like an insurmountable amount of $$ to make up. I would try brainstorming for ideas for a little less income. If I could swing it to stay home, I definitely would.
iVillage Member

If I were you, I'd try to live without the $300 that you'd be giving up if you quit work from now until the baby is born. If you can swing it, and would prefer to stay home then that's what I'd do. If you find that you're dipping into savings without that $300 then I'd go back to work because it probably means that you really do need it.

iVillage Member

For me, if I were in your situation I would stay home.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

I'm kind of in your same boat right now. I always assumed I would be a working mom. That's what my mom did and I never even thought that staying home would be an option for me. For the past couple of months DH has been trying to convince me that it would be possible to stay home if I wanted. Don't get me wrong....I really would

iVillage Member

I'm gonna agree with the girls here...I think its worth trying to stay at home. If you find that putting away money is hard and you want to still be adding money to savings...maybe you do something part-time? Take care of another child at home? IF your crafty there's always Etsy.com...? Not ideal but stores like Target and Walmart hire night shift stockers and seasonal workers...evening or early morning hours are usually time and half so its good money and child care wouldn't be an issue. When I was still in college I did that for a while and only worked Friday, Sat. and Sun. It was good money...

There are options if money gets too tight...I like the idea of trying to live w/out the $300 bucks now and then by December you'll know if its feasible.

Good Luck!

Photobucket
Community Leader

I chose not to work after #2 came along.

iVillage Member

Thank you so much girls for all your responses and ideas. Made me smile :) I told dh last night I want to make the decision in the next week or two so that I'll be able to let work know in plenty of time. I will prob stay until I have the baby, just to get in that extra $, and that's only 8-9 more weeks I think. I know $ isn't the most important thing, it just sucks bc it's something we have to have. I know my heart is made up, my brain is just holding me back. I think when we state what we have decided (me and dh) and I let work know I'll be more excited and less nervous!!! Thanks again girls, that really helped me!

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !

Pages