Let's talk monitors

iVillage Member
Let's talk monitors
Tue, 09-27-2011 - 12:39pm

I think I would be more inclined to go with a sound-only monitor vs a video monitor, but I know my DH will opt for the video monitor. For one, he loves all things high tech. But he's also a little more anxious overall so I think the video will put him at ease whereas for me I think just hearing the louder cries would be enough (not to mention I can see myself staying up watching the little peanut rather than getting some much needed shut-eye).

So to that end, has anyone already bought/registered for their monitor? If so, which one did you go with? Or do you have one that you've used with older kids that you'd recommend? I'm leaning toward the Summer Infant Best View video monitor or the Motorola Digital Video Baby Monitor. Both seem comparible in price.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-27-2011 - 12:45pm

It's funny I had a sound-only monitor with DS and very rarely ever used it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-27-2011 - 1:04pm
I didn't actually reg for one this time around. With DD we never used it because she was always in our room. And with RJ we wouldn't need it either for the same reason. Now if I had a big house where he would be in his room and me down stairs or his room far away I would get one.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-27-2011 - 2:14pm
I still use one for my 6 year old. My husband actually got me a new one back in May because the one we've been using since she was an infant finally died in April and I was going crazy. He hates it, BTW, because he doesn't like hearing Olivia's night time music. Anyway, he didn't really shop around and just grabbed this one http://www.target.com/p/Fisher-Price-Surround-Sounds-Lights-Monitor-Dual/-/A-12732173 because it's the newer versionof our old one. I don't love it but it's good enough. We'll get another for the baby-probably another audio only but a 900 mhz version. We have a small house but it's hard to hear when they're upstairs and you're down.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-27-2011 - 7:41pm
I have a sound only one. It was actually a hand me down from a co-worker. It isn't a very fancy model, very basic, but it works and we will use it again unless it poops out on us.

I like all the cutesy stuff....monitors and stuff just don't float my shopping boat. lol