lets talk weight!! not urs but mines

iVillage Member
lets talk weight!! not urs but mines
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 9:20am
So prior to being prego I was 114. At my last apt a couple weeks ago I was 137. So I'm sure I'm at 140 or above now. I thought I was too big but the doctor didn't have a problem with it. She just stated that I shud try not to eat white bread, white rice, potatoes etc. She also said that its possible that the bigger I get the bigger the baby may be. But now that some family know that I've basically gained 30 pounds I'm hearing that I should pay attention to my salt intake...which I really don't use salt anyway.... my mom thinks that if I get bigger they may put me on bedrest.
You can see in my face that I've gained weight but I'm all belly. What do you ladies think?should I be concerned? I eat fruit and veggies! I drink water! I walk everyday. What else do these people want from me!! I'm pregnant I WANNA EAT lol

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 10:27pm
I know you're worried about gaining a lot of weight, but try not to be. With my first I gained 50 pounds. I wasn't eating junk food, high salt, lots of carbs, etc. I was eating very healthy foods. At one point I was practically starving myself because I was so embarrassed about all the weight. I had been limiting myself to eating just 2 lean cuisines a day and that was it. I was also drinking LOTS of water! Probably drank around 12-15 glasses of water a day. At 30 weeks my doctor finally listened to me (actually, it was his wife who was a nurse practitioner) and they checked me for swelling, etc. Turns out the weight gain was because of pre-eclampsia. I did end up being put on full bed rest at 32 weeks. After the baby was born though I lost all the weight and then some. At my 6 weeks check up I had already lost 42 pounds and by the time dd was 6 months old I had lost 80 pounds. By the way, dd was born at 38w2d and was 7 pounds 14 ounces. For my family, that was not a big baby. Continue what you're doing, but talk to your doctor about possible water retention as well. Just because it isn't showing up in your urine yet doesn't mean you aren't developing pre-e.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 8:08pm

Jayla-

I agree with the majority.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 5:54pm
Attached a pic of my belly from last week!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 5:49pm
No my doctor wasn't concerned, I actually asked at my last appt. I was just wondering if I was missing something because of everyone else. But again these are people who hasn't been pregnant in forever. I'm proud of my belly even though someone said I shud walk cause she thought I was ready to pop lol I'm just a tiny women with a big belly so I think it makes me look bigger then I am ;) (I'm sticking with that)
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 4:45pm
I don't pay attention to it either. I gained 50 lbs for DS and over 45 for DD. It looks like at the rate I'm going, I'll be about the same. I breastfeed and it melts off. I want to enjoy my pregnancy and eat when I'm hungry. I don't eat lots of junk so I try not to worry about it. Some women just retain more water than others.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 4:39pm
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you! My doctor hasn't said anything to me and I've been trying not to eat white starches either...maybe I should look at my salt intake more carefully though. I'm also ALL belly...you can't see any weight gain on my face (granted my butt and thighs got a little bigger), but it's all in the belly. Hopefully the weight gain will slow, but at this point, it's supposed to pick up. Eeek!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 4:28pm

Is your doctor concerned? If he/she isn't worried then I wouldn't stress too much about it. As long as you're trying to make healthy eating choices, if they haven't said something then I would assume it's fine. On the other hand, if they've raised some concerns then I would take their advice.

I told my doctor I only wanted to discuss my weight gain when/if it became an issue. :-) I don't weigh myself at home, I don't look at the scale at the doctor's office. I have no interest in knowing how many lbs I've put on. I try to make good food choices but I don't beat myself up if I want a burger and fries one day.

Just my 2 cents...

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 11:51am
Well, my two cents (or rather, my dad's- former bodybuilder and fighter) is also to avoid the salt... He let me know that since pg ladies already retain water the salt will cause us to retain more, then of course, weight goes up. He always avoided salt when trying to make weight, and I've noticed my own weight is better when I avoid it...
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 11:14am
I'm only 501, my orignal weight was 121 prior to becoming a police. The heighest I've been was 143 when I was pregnant with DD at 18. I do eat healthy, not everything of course because I just started to have my cravings of sweets, hotdogs and tacos lol
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 11:06am
For someone who is in the normal weight range prior to pregnancy, a gain of 25-40lbs over the course of the pregnancy is normal and expected. For someone who is overweight, it would less. And for someone who is underweight, it would be more (don't remember the exact numbers). Depending on your height, your starting weight of 114 may actually put you on the "underweight" side, so a gain of more than 40lbs might be perfectly fine for you! As long as you are eating healthy food, I wouldn't worry too much about the weight gain.

Photobucket

Pages