Low progesterone, freaking out a little

iVillage Member
Low progesterone, freaking out a little
Fri, 05-13-2011 - 11:45am

So my midwife just called me and said she had my blood work results from last week (when I went in for spotting scare), she said the HCG levels were right on for my level of pregnancy but my pregesterone was low. She wants me to take prometrium (sp?) until 12-14 weeks. Anyone else doing this? It has me a little worried. Didn't have this with DS, and I hope its not too late. I had that bloodwork a over a week ago.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-13-2011 - 1:15pm
I think a few people who has had m/c in the past due to low progesterone levels take em. What was ur number?
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-13-2011 - 1:35pm
I too am taking prometrium. I am taking that and progesterone suppositories. I have a subchorionic hematoma, so they are overloading me with progesterone right now. Between the two meds I am taking 600 mg a day. I was on 300 a day before they found the hematoma too, just because we have been dealing with infertility for 5 years. Sometimes the progesterone gives me headaches, but it is worth it. My progesterone last week was 58, so it has been at good levels. I had it checked yesterday, but haven't heard results yet. What is your level?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-13-2011 - 1:58pm
I am on Prometrium, 200mg/day. This is my 1st pregnancy to take it. Like Melanie, I have a SCH, so that is part of the reason I am taking it. After they found my SCH, they took my progesterone levels and found out my progesterone was a 6!! So, so low. My doctor wasn't even going to put me on any supplements (I guess he was okay with the 6!) but I started spotting some, so they prescribed them for me. I just had my levels rechecked the other day and haven't heard what they are. The Prometrium makes me even more tired than I already am, but nothing else.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-13-2011 - 8:30pm

The prometrium is a life saver - if your levels are low, they will get them back up to where they need to be and could very well save the baby.

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-14-2011 - 11:11am
I have been on progesterone suppositories since 6 weeks. I had miscarriages before and once I began taking them I haven't lost a pregnancy. My doctors always have me take them until 12 weeks. They take some getting used to, but I fully believe in them.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-17-2011 - 3:17pm
I had another appointment today and I asked her what the actual level was an she said it was 8.3 and they like it to be 12-15. So it could be worse. The prometrium is making me feel more tired than I already am but its worth it to make my little bean stick. Havent had fertility issues but I guess my midwife is being cautious- which is good! Thanks all...
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-18-2011 - 10:47pm
Yeah I agree whatever I have to do is worth it too, but I can't wait to be done with this medicine!
Photobucket