Mayim Bialik on parenting

Community Leader
Mayim Bialik on parenting
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 12:47pm

http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/living/article/1141537--big-bang-star-mayim-bialik-writes-controversial-parenting-book

Apparently Mayim Bialik, perhaps better known as Amy Farrah Fowler from The Big Bang Theory, has written a controversial book on attachment parenting.

Community Leader
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 5:27pm

Sunni, I'm right there with you on people treating any sort of parenting like 'the next big thing'.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 12:56pm
I agree with the "instinctive parenting" statement. I think that's a better description for what most women do.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 8:56pm

I'm so over people talking about AP like it is new, trendy or even uncommon. How many parents do you know that aren't attached to their kids? How many parents do you know that never hold their children? How many people set their kids' feeding schedules? How is a bottle fed child any less attached than a breast fed? I am not an AP parent but I feed my child on demand, hold my child as much as I can and let him sleep when he wants. I don't cosleep but would sleep on the couch with him if needed. I wonder if women in 3rd world countries think they're cool because they're AP or do we think we're awesome because we have a choice not to things and rely on equipment & products. As for discipline, every child responds differently but I see far too many parents raising rotten little brats who can't interact properly or take care of themselves as they mature.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 3:13pm
Well, I do some attachment parenting to an extent. But I would call it more "instinctive parenting". Do what feels right to you and your family. With my oldest, I did cosleep because he didn't sleep well on his own and needed to be snuggled. But Dillon sleeps well on his own so he's always slept in his own space and never with me. I spanked my oldest too, but doubt that I will with this baby. My (new) husband doesn't spank at all but will speak sternly so I will likely not spank either this time.
Obviously, to parent well, you have to go with your instinct and if it feels awkward or uncomfortable to you, then don't do it.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 2:31pm

I would not say I practice attachment parenting, but there are some parts of it I do.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 1:30pm
I would agree I tend to lean toward attachment parenting. BUT I will give a good smack on the behind as necessary or not give constant attention if it's clear the kid (not a baby, of course) is just being an attention-grabber. I think whether you're a child or an adult you need a mix of attachment and discipline. I am VERY big on polite behavior in children. I don't give an inch on that one.
Community Leader
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 12:49pm

I definitely tend more toward attachment parenting than not.