Moms expecting girls... Ear piercing? Hot Topic??

iVillage Member
Moms expecting girls... Ear piercing? Hot Topic??
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 12:27am

Ok so I'm curious who will have their baby girls ear pierced as a baby??

With Makenzie I had hers done at 2 weeks old. She was asleep and didn't even wake up much less cry. They were so easy to keep clean and take care of because I did it, plus she never pulled on them or bothered them. That however was 10 1/2 years ago and everyone seemed to have their little girls ears pierced. I remember my mom didn't do mine as a baby and I waited till I was 7 or so, I had a LOT of anxiety about it and was really panicking and scared. Kenz LOVES her earrings now and so therefore I feel like I made the right decision in having them done when she was a baby. It made the whole situation all around easier and better for the both of us.

I have read a lot about people thinking it is mean and not leaving the decision up to the child weather they want it done or not is wrong, kind of like the circ. debate, they compare it. I am not for circ. baby boys (which I do not judge people who do have their baby boys done, I just don't believe it NEEDS to be done, this coming from a mom who had her first done and left her second intact, this isn't really even about circ. anyways lol) but I just don't think it falls in the same place BECAUSE ear piercing holes will close up givin the little girl does not want them later on.

Sigh I really want to have Addies ears done early on but I feel like I am going to be judged. Weird because usually I don't care what other people think, but I do for some reason with this. I feel like it would be so much better if I am able to take care of them when she is little and then she wont pull on them and if she doesn't want them when she's older she can take them out and they will heal up.

So who will have their daughters ears pierced while they are still babies?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
I had my dd's pierced when she was 2 or 3 months old. I loved them and I agree with you...they were so easy to care for. I think it is harder when they are older.

I've heard grief about it particularly from my MIL. I just really don't care. lol If I have another dd I will do the exact same thing.

As far as letting them choose for themselves...c'mon it isn't like you are making an arranged marriage for them. What girl doesn't like jewelry? I don't think I know a single woman who doesn't have her ears pierced even if she doesn't always wear earrings.

I just really don't think it is as much of a big deal as people sometimes make it out to be.
iVillage Member

I'm so glad you posted this b/c I hadn't even thought about it yet!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I did my DD at 4 months after the dr oked it. She was fine with then until a little after one then all of a sudden she started pulling them out. We eventually just left them out. Every now and then I poke something through to keep them open in case she wants then down the line:)
~JACKIE

MOMMY TO
~TRAVIS JAMES DEAN 12/6/06
~ALAINA NOELLE DEAN 6/30/09 EDD DEC 16TH
iVillage Member
I personally don't care what other people do. Doesn't bother me either way. In our family we will wait til DD is older, or until she asks for them. I want it to be a special day that she can remember. Little mother daughter bonding. I also want it to be a responsibility that she needs to care for them. :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member

I'm replying before reading others responses so they don't alter my thinking (very easily done these days, lol) I had my daughters done when she was about nine months old. I wanted them done but was scared to do it, didn't want to hurt her, etc. Finally we were at the mall one day, not planning for it but knew daddy was "ok" with the idea. I was SO nervous but we did it. I had animal crackers with me. They did them both at the same time, she cried out I gave her a cookie and that was that, no more tears. We never had a problem with them until she was two and one got icky I think from soap and such getting in behind it and the back. I switched to small gold hoops to let air circulate and it fixed up nice. SO, I'm for it. Don't know at what point I'll do it this time, hadn't crossed my mind yet until now. Probably not when she is brand new but maybe not quite as old as Chloe was? It'll depend on money and things too, but I'm sure I will do it. I love the look, Chloe loves them, they don't bother her and didn't whenever she was tiny and I'm glad we did it!

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
There are pros and cons for both. I think it looks cute but don't want to bother with the upkeep. I'll do the same thing my Mom did and make Olivia (and this one if I'm lucky enough to get another girl) wait till she's old enough to take care of them. I'll make it a special day. Cheap metals break me out so we'll be avoiding anything but solid gold once the 1st set are out. I want her to be responsible for her earrings since they will all be nice pieces from a real jeweler.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
I chose not to have my daughter's ears pierced as a baby because I knew that I would not have the time to properly take care of them. I was working full time and going to school full time at night and for me that was just one more thing that wasn't a necessity.
If you are able to take care of the pierced ears and that is what you want then don't let anybody else deter you from that. It is not like you are getting your baby a tattoo. If for whatever reason she does not like her ears pierced then you can always choose to have the holes close.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
I got my DD's ears pierced on her first bday, and if i have another daughter i will get them done again, i don't know a single female that has their ears pierced and didn't want them loL common! we're woman we love jewelry :P and if they happened to not want them its not like its hard to take them out :P the only problem i have with my ears (i got mine done at 2 weeks old) is that my ear lobs grew and the holes are a bit higher than they should be, so my hoop ear rings are always crooked (or the person just did it wrong? who knows) but i dont see anything wrong with piercing a babies ears, its probably easier to take care of and get them done in the first place when their babies as kids can be overly dramatic at times haha (well i know my daughter at the age of 4 now would scream bloody murder if she got them done now loL) but anyways thats my opinion :)

Christine
pregnancy
iVillage Member

I had my ears pierced at 5 years old and I would only let them do one! LOL I don't know why they didn't do them at the same time. Anyway, I ended up sporting one pierced ear for a while until my mom could convince me to get the other one done. We just found out we're having a girl and I want her to have her ears pierced too. I think younger would be easier although I would want to get the okay from our pediatrician first.

Trish