Mouthy 5 year old!!!!!!!

iVillage Member
Mouthy 5 year old!!!!!!!
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 11:50pm

My son, God love him, has become the most outspoken thing.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 11:56pm

I have one of those - this is #3. I think they all sort of have this little attitude at this age. Finding their voice maybe?!?! Not sure, but the older 2 grew out of it.

When Nate gets real out of hand and mouthy we start taking things he loves most. Then its not going outside and to bed early. He hates having his fav things taken from him, and not being able to go outside. Plus he's not a fan of early bed time. Sometimes, honestly I just flat out ignore him when he starts the back talk or demanding. Eventually he will simmer down and decide that talking to me politely is the better way to go.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-24-2011 - 12:09am
I'm going through it with a little princess who just turned 6 and thinks she is 16 going on 21. I've tried talking and reasoning with her, time out, spanking, etc. What I have started doing and it seems to be working so far (been doing it about 3 weeks) is to remind her of what proper behavior is and then if she continues being mouthy or disobeying I go into her room to get one of her toys and put it in time out. The only way for her to get her toy out of time out is to act/speak appropriately for the rest of the day.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-24-2011 - 6:27am
I also do the time out thing, I have a five year old dd that has been here before. Forget acting like she's 16 how bout 50. She's a little old women. I've learned that she hates time out so she grabs a book and sit there until I cool off. They r def getting their voice. I don't have a little boy so I don't know who's worse.. lil girls or boys?? But u have to find what they dislike the most and make that the punishment. I'm all about allowing a child to be a child but when u wanna talk to me like ur on my level, oh go sort the clothes, pick up some trash, vacuum the living room lol it WORKS!
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-24-2011 - 10:24am

It must be a developmental thing for their age. My little mouthpiece will be 6 in Sept. She started the attitude in early spring. It's off and on and I put her toys in time out or, worse, make her take a nap. I love the nap punishment because I can take 1, too!

Photobucket