My OB recommends flu shot...anyone getting it?

iVillage Member
My OB recommends flu shot...anyone getting it?
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 4:02am

So my OB at my last app't said she truly recommends the flu shot because it'll protect not only me but my unborn baby and also will help protect the baby when he is born also.

Photobucket

<

Pages

iVillage Member

Hi, you can disregard this if you want. I'm in my 50's & a mom & grandmother of 3 {3 adult dd's & 1 gs & 2 gd's} I have Grave's disease, it's a auto-immune disorder so I have to do a flu as well as the pneumonia shot too. Since I started doing them in '98, I've only had the flu twice & both times it was the interestal flu which the shots don't cover. {I lost over 2 weeks from work because of it, I was ill enough that my Dr put me on morphine meds to deal with the pain}

~~Sam stitches well with others, runs with scissors in her pocket. Cheerful and stupid.
iVillage Member
Well I was first to say, NO! I don't want it. Once the doctor explained that it would protect the baby, I was sold. I didn't want to be selfish, I've never ever received the flu shot for my mothers own personal reasons. As an adult I just never got it, even with my job as a police. Seeing as though DH is also a police, I didn't want myself or him making the baby sick so I got it.

Jayla
iVillage Member
I get the flu shot every year. Never had any problems.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member

I believe we had a post on this somewhere about two weeks ago, so you might also want to check that out for answers.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I don't usually get flu shots but I actually considered it for this reason alone. I am pro-vax but I'm still on the fence.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
I got a flu shot at the beginning of October and I had no side affects My OBGYN actually recommended that my husband and I get a flu shot so he got one at Walgreens. He had a low grade fever (99.0) for a few hours) but after that he was back to normal.

I was told that the pregnancy flu shots are different from the normal flu shot... so you may want to ask your OB about that

The only reason I got the flu shot was because my sister-in-law when she had her first got the flu and passed it to her 2.5 month old. My niece wound up spending a few days in the hospital because of the flu (it was the winter H1N1 had its breakout)... so I got mine more so to be safe than sorry.
iVillage Member
yes, I get one every year and so do the kids/DH. Never had a problem with it and haven't got the flu since I started getting the shot.
Photobucket

iVillage Member

I got my flu shot.

Photobucket

iVillage Member

Thanks ladies.

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member

Kim, that is so terrible about your friend's son.

Photobucket

<

Pages