Name drama: Would you just give in?

iVillage Member
Name drama: Would you just give in?
Sat, 10-01-2011 - 12:31pm

Sorry if you are sick of me posting on this topic. lol

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-01-2011 - 12:39pm
I like the name john only because its my grandfathers father and brothers name lol
I do love the name bradley. Do he like the name johnathan?
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-01-2011 - 3:21pm

Hi...I don't think you should settle for this...a child's name is core in building his identity, his personality...you need to like it as much as your DH...both of you will be saying it countless times...you probably more so in the first few years...I'd say hold your ground...you made this baby together, you should name him together...if you settle, I fear you will have resentment later perhaps...towards your DH and worst still maybe towards your son...I know for me, naming a child is a big deal...it takes us ages to find names since we are a french english bilingual family and the names need to be pronounced clearly in both languages and I like to have a celtic link to my family too....so I'm with you on the long searches....could you explore perhaps middle names for John and Bradley?

Good luck...

Donna

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-01-2011 - 5:09pm

I would totally not settle.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-01-2011 - 10:38pm
I like John but not Bradley. I'd keep trying but settle for a compromise of letting him pick 1 name and you the other IF it would end things now so you can have a name in place. OR you could do what my Mom did: she named my sister a name close to what my father wanted and then blamed the nurse for mishearing her. They later divorced just so you know-lol.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 6:45am
For our son, it was a total compromise. Hubby wanted a Jr. And I wanted the child to have his own identity, so I compromised and suggested his father's name (Joseph). It wasn't my favorite name but better than a Jr. The name eventually grew on me and now I can't imagine anything else for his name.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 2:16pm
Has he mentioned why John or Bradley are such important names to him? I think that if he had a real reason for why he insists on these names I would probably give in on the first name and compromise that I would get to choose the middle name. If his reason is just something like, "they sound good" or "I like them", etc. then I would keep searching.

I understand your frustration. When I got pregnant with our son dh told me what the name would be. I never even got a say. It took me the entire pregnancy and a few weeks after his birth to get used to the name. dh named him Antonio (after his own grandfather) Kristian (because he had always liked the name Chris). We agreed to call him Tony and spelled his middle name with a K to make it more European. Each of our kids has a first name with either Latin or Spanish origins because my husband is hispanic (Amanda, Antonio, and this one will be either Alejandro or Aubrianna) and their middle name is of European origin because I'm a heinz 57 (Kalene, Kristian, and this one will be either Kendryk or Kandis).

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 3:49pm

We are currently fighting the exct same fight! DH doesn't like any of my suggestions, but has only had 2 of his own and both are completely unusable. Since I actually can't give in on either of his, I am just trying to convince him of my top pick right now. I'm getting really pissed about the whole thing because I'm addicted to cute mongrammed things and need to order stuff now for it to be ready for her birth. So infuriating!

Just for kicks, his 2 name picks are Clementine nn Clem - we already have a long, complicated last name and need a short name. The best part? It's his ex-girlfriend's name (who also happens to be a professional model)! Um, no to Clementine. Other pick is Astrid, which I think is really pretty but sounds way too close to "Ass-turd" to me. I can't get rid of that association and will not think of my beautiful baby girl as ass-turd.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 4:10pm

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 4:38pm

I wouldn't give into a name if I don't want it.

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 4:47pm

Sorry Sunni, I didn't mean you, I meant Jimmerson.

Trai

Photobucket

<

Pages