natural birth

iVillage Member
natural birth
Sat, 05-07-2011 - 11:02am
Anyone here plan on having a natural child birth? With my daughter I held on to the last minute and I got the drugs lol at the last min so with that I felt everything. This time around I plan on going natural and also breast feeding. Which I didn't do with dd. Also were not finding out the gender of the baby. Dh idea so I'm going to support him on that
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-07-2011 - 11:58am

Definitely. With the first 2, I got the epi at around 5cm. Well for me, once I hit 5cm I will complete with in 10-15 mins, sometimes less. So its a huge waste. It never kick's in till after the baby is born and then I'm allergic to it. I itch all over and become super irritable. So with #3, I did NOT want it BUT got to a point where I was begging for it. Luckily the anesthesiologist was with another patient so I had to wait, by the time he got in the room it was too late, I was pushing. On my own while the nurse was trying her hardest to get me to stop because the Dr wasn't in the hospital, even though my mom had just warned him that I would be complete with in 10 mins or so, he didn't believe her and left. They they tried to get me to stop pushing, yeah right when you have that urge there is no "NOT pushing". So yes this next one will be all natural as well, I know I can do it so I will :) I felt much better and more alert after Nates birth. I was able to nurse him and be wide awake.

As for breastfeeding. Yes I plan on doing that as well. :) I only made it to 4 months with Makenzie because she was so stubborn and would choke and gage when the milk would start coming instead of drinking. She did much better with the bottle. Maybe because she had more control?!? Either way, I was a first time mom, I was a teen and it all stressed me out and made it so hard, I tried to pump but the pump I had was not good and would leak out while pumping, it was just a mess. I wish now I would have pushed through but.... With the boys, they both made it to 7 months. JJ I started losing my supply because I was back to work and they didn't allow me to have as many pumping breaks as I needed to keep my supply up (they let me have 1 - 15 min pumping break, which was just enough time to get to my car and start on one side and then the 15mins was up). With Nate, he was just a chunker and wanted MORE MORE MORE than I was making so we started giving formula to make up for it (instead of putting him to the breast, stupid me I look back now and know I should have, that rather than give formula) and that was it for him, he had no interest in nursing after that. This one, I plan on breast feeding for 12+ months. I will not even put formula in the house so I'm not

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-07-2011 - 12:29pm
I got stadohl in my i.v. with both kids. I'm hoping to go natural this time. As far as breastfeeding, I was able to breastfeed dd until 6 months before she went on strike and ds until 9 months when I began drying up and it was becoming frustrating for both of us. Not sure how successful I will be with this one since I won't always have an opportunity to pump.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-07-2011 - 3:07pm

I had unmedicated births with both of my first two -- one labour was 12 hours and the next was 8 1/2 hours.

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-07-2011 - 4:18pm
Natural childbirth is not for me. I had an epi with my dd and experienced no negative side effects. I felt as alert as one can after pushing for two hours Lmao. Last time I didn't go into labor on my own even tho my water broke. The pitiocin contrax were more than I personally can handle. I'm not sure about bf. I had supply issues last time but I didn't try any if the supplements that they say can help. I was really upset about it last time but I'm not going to stress this time. If it happens it happens. If not, oh well. I didn't find bottlefeeding to be a hassle.
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-07-2011 - 9:39pm
I guess you can say that I had an almost natural birth with my DS. I had one shot of Stadol but all that did was make me sleep for the approximately 1 minute between contraxions. Seriously, lol...I would sleep between them and then one would start and I was awake and feeling the whole thing. And it wore off pretty quick too. But, labor and delivery was pretty quick with him. I went into active labor around 6pm and he was then born at 3:21am after only 28 minutes of pushing. So, I know that I can do it without any kind of meds, so I am going to try to have nothing this time around. I will NOT have an epidural, as I am more afraid of that needle being placed in my back than I am of the pain of labor/delivery. Also, I do plan to breastfeed. With DS I only went about 2 months before he went on strike, and I was soooo tired that I just didn't have it in me to fight through it. I did pump for 1-2 months longer, but we did switch him over to formula because my supply started to dwindle. I am hoping to bf for longer this time, at least about 6 months. I may have to stop after 6 months because I am going on a 16 day study abroad next summer and I'm not sure how my supply will handle that time away with only pumping. And it would depend on how much of a stash I can get up between December and May.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-08-2011 - 3:11am
I would like to try it naturally with this one. Had an epi both times before, though with Clara, it was only the test dose--I laid down, my water broke, my BP plummeted and she came out 3-4 pushes later. I was up going to the bathroom as soon as the placenta came out. lol So I"d like to just avoid all of that and have it without drugs.
Will definetly breastfeed. Did for 19 months with DS and 22 months with DD...But this time I'll be going back to work at 2-3 months, so who knows how it will all end up working out...
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-08-2011 - 7:29am
3 of 6 of my birth were natural,so i plan on doing it again.

mommy to

katelyn 14

randy 11

hannah 8

jacob 6

lydia 4

alayna -2

GWENDOLINN-11MONTHS

AND PRAYING FOR NUMBER 8-

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-08-2011 - 9:05am

I will not be having a natural birth but a planned c-section as I did last time (just my personal preference).

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-08-2011 - 10:12am

Sign me up for an epi now! I have no urge to feel more pain than is necessary. I do not want the iv stuff. I know with my first the lady gave me something, without asking just bc I had told her I would probably be getting meds. It was like stadol, maybe a d word? It just made me sooooo sleepy but did not help with pain. I'll go as far as I can/as needed then get my epi. My pain gets to the point where I literally throw up, happened with both my babies. I did make it to at least 5 cm (and like a pp I go FAST from there)

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !