Natural Birth or GIVE ME THE DRUGS!!!!

iVillage Member
Natural Birth or GIVE ME THE DRUGS!!!!
Thu, 06-16-2011 - 6:17pm
So who's doing what or considering doing what?

With DH I didn't want the epi and I didn't get it up until we talked about pushing the shoulders out. I ended up getting it at the last minute and felt everything. Darn thing never kicked. So I'm thinking with this baby I should be able to do it. Only thing is I was unable to sleep. So I'm more on the side of going natural!! What about you ladies???

What are you considering doing and why?

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-16-2011 - 6:20pm
Definitely going with the epi. I had it with my dd and it was awesome. I asked for it as soon as I started feeling pain. Some of my friends were like...I held out til the last minute...Why? If you are going to get it anyways, why spend several miserable hours? lol Unless they are giving out cash prizes for the mom who suffers most during labor, I want my drugs! :)

I might feel differently if I had complications with my dd, but I didn't. I had some numbness in one of my legs for a couple hours after, but it really wasn't a big deal. I didn't feel groggy at all.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-16-2011 - 6:33pm
The only thought that scared me was pushing the baby out. I can tolerate a lot of pain. I also think that it speed my labor up, I was 19 and was in labor for less than five hours. But who knows how this may go!
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-16-2011 - 6:44pm
Drugs! All the way. Despite my generally ok tolerance of pain I have no desire to be miserable when I do not have to. Epidural sounds so wonderful against screaming and generally being ridiculous during labor.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-16-2011 - 6:45pm
I do not have a high tolerance for pain at all. lol If you did it with your first dd, you can definitely do it again (if you want to!). 5 hours is great! I hope I'm that lucky this time around.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-16-2011 - 6:48pm
EPI!!! I had one at 5-6cm with DD and it was WONDERFUL!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-16-2011 - 6:55pm
I wish I could say the one I got was wonderful lol if it ever kicked in. I was even home when my water broke and thought I peed on myself, so it went kinda fast for me. I hope for the same results
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-16-2011 - 7:23pm
I wish I could get an epi, but we found out with my last pregnancy that I am one of a rare group of women who do not respond to an epi. After 2 different docs, 3 separate epi lines inserted and taken out, and 3-4 hours of no relief, the anesthesiologist decided that they just do not work for me.

I will take whatever IV drugs they can give me to at least take the edge off.

I just pray I don't have to have a c-section. I want to be awake when this baby is born, not knocked out.