need to get a schedule

iVillage Member
need to get a schedule
Thu, 01-19-2012 - 8:26am
So Miranda is 6 weeks now. I go back to work in 2 weeks. She was such a fussy girl that she didn't like being put down. We've been co sleeping and BF and she does good at night. However hubby would like her in the crib (I'm sure he's thinking of intimacy). Anyhow I thought I'd start with naps to get her used to the crib. She usually naps in our arms. I put her in there asleep and she woke up 10 mins later crying. You think I could figure this out as she's my 3rd child but I've never been good at CIO. So my question is how long do I let her fuss/cry at this age? I guess I need to know that I can do this. :-(
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-21-2012 - 11:31pm
Awesome! Sounds like you're definitely making progress!
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-20-2012 - 8:26pm
All good suggestions! I did 3 naps at the crib today. The first one she woke up 10 mins later. I rocked her a couple minutes and then she conked out for 30 more minutes. After lunch she slept an hour! Woohoo! I actually got laundry done! Then this evening she did 20 mins before she wailed. Then I brought her downstairs and put her in the swing (asleep) and she slept for 50 minutes. What I did do is start swaddling her before nap and bed. I'm hoping this will cue her to sleep.

I'm working on putting her down drowsy but awake as well. My BFF suggested writing down her schedule over the next few days to see if there is a pattern with how long she naps.I'm going to try that as well.
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-20-2012 - 7:09pm
Pssh I do not think you are a horrible mama for the padding. That is why I changed Noelle to her crib. That matress felt 100x softer then the rock in the bassinet. I figured I would hate sleeping on it so she would as well. I find she likes to be swaddled so I hope that helps in the pack n play since that is what she will sleep in at the baby sitters. If she is still cranky I will encourage the baby sitter to pad the pack n play.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

Community Leader
Fri, 01-20-2012 - 12:15pm

I'm no good at CIO either, but I agree that this is too early to start it.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-20-2012 - 8:35am

Everything I've read says that CIO shouldn't really be used until they-re 3-4 mos. I moved Nathan's sleeper into his nursery around 5 weeks and began intoruding the crib for naps that same week. My "rule" is that I wait until I hear a true cry (rather than grunts or a single cry that's followed by a long pause). If he does start to real cry I pick him until he's quiet then put him right back down. For naps, if it's taking more than 3 or 4 times in his crib and it just won't "stick" then I usually take him down to his swing and he'll nap there. I saw an immediate improvement in his sleep because I think I was getting him too early and not giving him a chance to resettle himself. The other thing I do is as soon as I see signs of sleepiness (which in Nathan's case are yawns), I swaddle him, give him a paci if he wants it and head to his crib. I'll often put him down drowsy but still awake.Our bedtime routine is always the same too - nurse, bath (not every day), change into PJs, swaddle, read book, down.

Good luck! Having a schedule made going back to work an eansy teansy bit less brutal.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-19-2012 - 6:32pm
Maddie is in a bassinet next to our bed and I spend a lot of time patting her back and giving her pacifier to her when she is falling asleep. It can literally take hours some nights because she will need to nurse or get a diaper change during this process.

I have noticed she is starting to drift off to sleep sometimes without so much effort which is good because I need to do the transition to crib soon.
Maureen (Mom to DD 13, DS 8, and Baby Girl) Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-19-2012 - 10:51am
I have Noelle in the crib. On good days she will do the whole 2-3 hours in the crib. These last couple days she has been extra needy. I say even if its only ten minutes keep at it. I think consistency is key.
First makes sure the baby is in deep sleep I read it can take 20 minutes. I can tell because Noelles breathing will slow and deepen. If I try her in there too soon she wakes up right away. I find I am most successful after her bath. Usually I can get at least two hours then. Hope that helps.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-19-2012 - 10:51am
I let August fuss in the crib, but never cry. He's not a big fan of naps, but I know he needs them. A lot of times I'll roll him on his side and pat his back while making the shoosh noise...it usually calms him down. Then I'll give him a pacifier and he'll usually drift off. I think the key is getting her down as soon as you notice her first signs of tiredness so you don't miss the her "sleep window".
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-19-2012 - 8:53am

My understanding is that at this age they are really too young to CIO.

Photobucket