Need help planning a baby shower

iVillage Member
Need help planning a baby shower
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 2:34pm

My friend and I are planning another friend's baby shower. The theme that the mother-to-be chose was hot pink with black skulls. A little out of the box from the traditional teddy bears and rocking horses stuff.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 4:26pm
Omg 100 people...who does that? She sounds like momzilla lol. Everything you have sounds great so far. I've been seeing decorated cookies on a stick (cookie pops) a lot at showers lately. If either of you bake that might be a relatively cheap favor. Just decorate to the theme. Where are you guys having this shindig?
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 6:04pm
We were thinking of the candy, too. We were kind of playing with the idea of getting the skulls candy mold and doing those in pink, black, and white and also getting the baby shower candy mold and doing those in the same color and then just putting a mixture of candies in a little baggie and tying it with a cute ribbon. I like your idea of the cookie pops. That would be a really easy way to carry over the theme and we could stencil the image and just use the frosting spray paint or something like that. Hmmm, I'll bring it up to my friend. :-)

I think the part that pisses me off (sorry, VENT!) is that we had both told her that we would throw her a small shower of like 10-15 people. The first guest list she sent us was over 70. We freaked a little bit, but figured most wouldn't show up. She then decided to do a facebook evite and invited over 100 and that doesn't even include their kids that they will more than likely bring. We are having it at the co-hosts house, but her house isn't big enough for all those people nor do we have tables and chairs for all them. The momma to be is just going to have to understand that we are doing the best we can on a very limited budget. My friend only works part time and my husband is out of work and as a teacher I don't make much money. Hopefully she won't throw anymore surprises our way.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 6:41pm
Those sound like good things that you have planned. I would suggest a game that I LOVE to play at baby showers and is so funny. You buy several different candy bars and melt each of them into a diaper. Number the diapers (and write down which candy bar is in which diaper somewhere) and pass them around. Everyone has to guess which candy bar is in the diaper. It can be done by look, smell, and taste! It is SOOO much fun to watch people play this game, especially when you have someone in the group brave enough to taste them!

As for the number of people invited, I think that the mom-to-be is completely taking advantage of you and your friend! I would NEVER think to invite that many people to my baby shower, especially if someone else was throwing it for me (I actually threw my own with my DS because I didn't have anyone to throw one for me). I really think you should sit down with the mom-to-be and your friend and the two of you let her know that you don't have the resources or space to accommodate all of the people she has invited. Let her know that you are happy to throw the shower for her, but when you agreed to do it, you had told her 10-15....maybe tell her that you can go up to 25 people or so, but no more than that. Then, leave it to her to un-invite people, since she was the one how sent all the e-vites, etc. Hope you figure out how to deal with it!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2011 - 9:59am
I was going to suggest the game that Gina suggested. It is hilarious to watch!

As for prizes, I have never been to a shower where you won a shower gift-for yourself. Usually the prize for the game is something for the mother-something small off her registry, like a pack of pacifiers or something-and the "winner" of the game gets to open it for her.

I also agree with Gina about talking to the mother about the number of people she has invited. I know it would be an uncomfortable convo, but it is so rude of her to do that to you gals! Maybe she has some family or other friends that wouldn't mind chipping in/helping host?

Heidi