Opinions on a Name

iVillage Member
Opinions on a Name
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 8:58am

Hey everyone! We're a little stuck on some names right now and I wanted some opinions. We originally wanted to name our son Ryker, but of the few people we told the only thing they could think about was the prison in NY. Also, when I Googled what people thought of the name (other people have asked on other sites), many people had very negative comments. I know it's important not to worry what others think, but he is going to have to live with this name all of his life and interact with society, so I don't want most people's reactions to be negative. John will be the MN since it's a family MN for DH. Here are the names we're choosing between:

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 9:24am
To be honest the first thing I would think of is the prison. I also asked DH what was the first thing he thought of when I say Ryker and he says "jail". Even though it means strong and powerful but I still think of the bars being strong. But anyway its a different but also creative name. Have u thought about using it as a middle name? But you kno these days people in general make names negative so it shouldn't change how u feel about it. Like look at the name Casey for example, I'm sure some people loved that name up until this casey anthony crap came about, so hey if u love it.. make it work! I do like Ryker Edward Knapp, but I see u have the john as a middle. Or what about John Ryker Knapp.
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 9:24am

Ryker is a little different but I didn't have a negative thought of it when I read it (and I'm not familiar with the prison).

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 9:29am
Oh yea let me add that I first thought prison because DH and I are both police. I'm sure it may not come to mind right away to others.
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 9:31am
It really depends on what you do and where you're from in regards to Ryker. We live in FL which really isn't the South or the North for that matter, especially in Orlando. I honestly had never heard of the prison (obviously I don't watch many CSI style shows lol), but all of my family is from NY and all of his family is from NJ so I know it'd be the first think they thought of.

Lincoln does make me think of the President. DH really likes it because of the nickname "Link", but I do worry about teasing and such.

Bennett is definitely my top choice right now, but I keep going back and forth :)
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 10:34am
I like Ryker. I have a friend with a son my DD's age (almost 6) named Ryker and the prison never crossed my mind.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 11:00am

I like Lincoln!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 3:15pm
I do like the sound of the name Ryker, but yeah the only thing I associate with the name is the prison so I guess that would bother me somewhat.

Of the ones you have out I like Bennett the best.
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 3:18pm

Hmmm I honestly think they are all nice and would "age" well. I think my two faves are Ryker and Bennett, good luck, this name business ain't easy!

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 9:26pm
Picking a name is definitely hard...sure I may love it, but he has to have it, ya know.
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 10:17pm
I personally love Ryker - we threw it around as well.

My opinions on your names...

I think they will all age well and look good on a resume...

Bennett John - very cute for a young guy as well as perfect for an aging gentleman. I like it.

Lincoln John - I like it, but I think I like Bennett better as far as thinking of it on a person.

Ryker John - I love it, but I already said it was on our list.

Edward John - it's not my style, so of course I'm very not in love with it, and I have a hard time seeing it on a little guy.