Pediatrican Interviews?

iVillage Member
Pediatrican Interviews?
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 11:49pm

I am getting ready to switch pediatricians for my kids because I am incredibly unhappy with the doctor and her staff.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-19-2011 - 5:26am
My OB strongly suggested doing at least phone interviews with pediatricians to pick one for this peanut. I fully intend on making calls soon.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-19-2011 - 8:25am

I did pediatrician interviews before DS was born and I absolutely LOVE our pediatrician.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-19-2011 - 9:21am
We interviewed our pedi before DS was born. She was actually the first and only one we interviewed, but both DH and I really liked her and her responses to our questions were reassuring. She also talked to us about circumcision, without having a bias one way or the other. In fact, it was she who helped to convince DH to not have our son circumcised....but not by pressuring him or anything, simply by giving him some facts about the myths of circs. She is also ok with us refusing certain vaccines for Sean, which is really good because there are some that I just will not get for him (the chicken pox vaccine for one). She asked a few times about it, but then dropped it after that, realizing that we weren't going to budge, lol. Smart woman.

Anyway, definitely do some interviews. If one of the docs doesn't answer your questions to your satisfaction, go on to the next one. They may not agree with everything you want/don't want, but as long as they will still allow you to do what you believe is best for your children, then that is good. Although someone who shares your same views is always much easier.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-19-2011 - 10:06am

It's funny, me and DH were just talking about this last night after our birthing class.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-19-2011 - 12:40pm
There's only 1 ped practice in my town and, when they came to my lamaze class, I didn't like them. We just used our family Dr and he's wonderful. He was excited to come to the hospital and see Olivia.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-20-2011 - 12:38pm
I ended up setting up interviews for three peds. I also found a list of questions on the internet that will get me started. My main concerns have to do with antibiotics, their knowledge of periodic fevers and autism spectrum, and their willingness to make referrals. For example, when I had brought up to my current doctor over a year ago that I thought my son was high functioning autism, her response was, "how do you know he's not just a spoiled brat?" When he was two years old I begged and pleaded with her to do a full blood work up because of his recurrent fevers (every 6-8 weeks and would last for up to 2 weeks of 104 or higher) and all she did was a cbc panel. It took me having to take him to Children's Hospital in L.A. with me in tears and them writing a letter to her saying that he needed a referral immediately to an infectious diseases doctor before she would even consider a referral. Even at that it took her office over two weeks to even submit the referral. He also had liver damage from all the Tylenol he was on for over three years. We were going through about 15 bottles of Tylenol and around 8 bottles of Motrin a year just for him trying to control the fevers and she never bothered to think there was a problem with this even though I begged her to test his liver and kidney functioning. Sorry, just a little rant there. As you can see though, I'm very concerned with finding a doctor who will be willing to look past teething, cold, flu, and actually look at the whole picture instead of just making the symptoms go away.

Photobucket