Prenatal Classes

iVillage Member
Prenatal Classes
Sun, 08-07-2011 - 11:40am
Anyone plan on taking prenatal classes?
My insurance covers several different classes but because I have a five year old I mainly need the Breastfeeding basics. I didn't breastfeed with DD so I kno nothing about it. I don't know anyone that has breast fed before.

What classes do u plan on taking?
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-07-2011 - 12:31pm

I don't plan on taking any this time around.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-07-2011 - 12:38pm

I'll probably take a BF class and infant CPR.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-07-2011 - 12:43pm
DH and I were 18 when we had DD so I didn't really put much thought into breastfeeding and of course I was getting wic so the cost of milk wasn't an issue. Like I said before noone I knew breastfed . My older sister didn't even have a baby at that time so I had no one. Lol now DH and I make too much to get WIC. Luckily were both police and are required to take cpr classes every year.
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 12:28am
Im a nurse so I already know cpr and have taught my DH the basics. We did sigh up for a lamaze type class. I would have loved to take the breast feeding one but its only offered when I work. I will just have to have the lactation consultant come to me after I have the baby.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 12:41am
I think we will just do the tour and the cpr refresher. Last time I did ALL the classes. lol. There was some good info there, but some of them were way longer than they needed to be.

The hospital I'm delivering at does offer a big sister/big brother class that I'm going to sign dd up for.
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 6:39am
I did see a sibling class online when I was checking. Maybe I shud check that out. Since the cpr class is free maybe I shud suggest that my mother go since she will have RJ over night
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 11:40am
I took a prenatal class the first time around so I think I'm covered this time around and won't take any classes. My DH just finished taking CPR for work so he's covered there too.
I did have a lactation nurse come in and help me nurse my son (he had a cleft lip) and that was a challenge getting good latching, I'm hoping this one nurses like a champ ;)
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 12:41pm
I go to my first class tonight! I am nervous though; I'm very shy in person so group settings are tough for me. Thankfully hubby is very outgoing so he helps a lot (he is coming too!). Its a class run by the midwives in my OB office, and they call it a "full pregnancy review". The women in each class are all due the same month, and so each class is structured around what's applicable for each month with labor and birth being more and more emphasized as months go by.