QOTW: Visitors After Baby?

iVillage Member
QOTW: Visitors After Baby?
Sun, 08-14-2011 - 8:10am

How do you usually handle visitors after the baby is born, particularly out of town visitors? Do you plan to have people there when the baby is born or wait a certain amount of time afterwards?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-14-2011 - 8:15am

All of our family lives out of town so this is a big question for us.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-14-2011 - 8:37am
We live in the same town as my parents, so I'm sure they'll be here often and DH's parents live about 2 hours away...I get along really well with them and I know they'll be here a lot and I'm fine with that too. I will however be telling other friends and people we'd like to wait until after Christmas (possibly after New Years if he comes late) to have visitors just so we can get adjusted to our baby without there being so many people coming in and out.
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-14-2011 - 11:16am
I'm not much of a peoples person, my mother will be there at the hospital. I'm sure dh dad and my grandparents will show up after the baby is born in the hospital. I can count on one hand how many family members actually been inside my home. If everything goes well after the baby is born we can go home the next day.
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-14-2011 - 11:18am

I had a ton of visitors with Olivia. I think so many people were excited for us because were the last of our friends to have kids and the only ones in the family at the time. I assume it will be different this time because of the holidays.I would love to say that the only ones I want to see on the day of delivery is DH and Olivia but I don't know if that will fly. I've told Nick his Mom, Dad, sister and her husband are welcome to come visit us on Christmas Day but it will be brief and we won't be going anywhere. My Mom and step-Dad always come on Christmas Day so that won't change. I'm going to make sure everyone knows that I expect 100% healthy visitors only.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-14-2011 - 4:29pm

With my first My family and inlaws visited at the hospital. It was OK. I was just aggravated as I was trying to feed Chloe and everyone wanted to hold her and she was hungry, I'm learning to breastfeed etc. Otherwise it was fine. I didn't get to many visitors at home. My parents are slack at coming to my house for some reason and the inlaws were the ones 45 mins away that time so they didn't really come over much.

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-14-2011 - 8:39pm
My mom will be in the delivery room and will stay a week or two after. All of my immediate family lives 20 min- an hour away so I'm sure they will all come by. We have a few close friends who I am sure will come by the hospital at some point to say hi. I loved having visitors at the hospital with my dd...it is so boring sitting there for two days! lol

Last time my inlaws did not come until a week or two after dd was born, but they live 4 hours away and at the time were working. FIL passed away this past spring and now MIL is retired. I'm really afraid she is going to want to come stay with us. I don't have anything against her, I'm just not super comfortable around her and I feel like it would be more work having her visit....as opposed to my mother who is really helpful to have around. I'm just not super close to MIL. I don't want to hurt her feelings tho, so if she asks I don't know that I will be able to say no.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-14-2011 - 9:01pm

My mom and dad will be in the delivery room as always (My dad sits where he can't see anything lol). With Nate my in laws were in the room as well up until it got way too intense (all natural) and then they took brother in law and went out until after Nate was born and I was cleaned up and put back together, so on and so forth. This time Im hoping my MIL will get to be in the room when I deliver her. After, all of my family and friends are welcome to come and visit as long as every one is healthy. I can't imagine keep everyone away (esp my husbands parents and our family) for any amount of time. Everyone is just as excited to welcome her as we are and not only that I think *I* would go stir crazy with out any interaction from anyone. So we will allow all friends and family to visit as long as everyone is healthy :)

Photobucket

Community Leader
Mon, 08-15-2011 - 12:39pm

The majority of our close family is very close -- my parents are the farthest away, at 25 minutes' drive, and the closest, DH's cousin and her husband, are a five minute walk through the school yard.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 3:07pm
Everyone lives within 30 mins of each other so we don't have any out-of-towners, so I won't have to worry about that.

With my first, he was born Dec 9th, 2003. My husband at the time was the only one in the room during delivery. The next day my parents came to visit, as did my MIL, BIL, and a friend. We were living with my parents at the time and I'm sure we had some family come to see him once we got home, I don't really remember. Everyone got to see him a few weeks later at Christmas anyway.

I'm going to figure it will all go the same this time around with this little guy. I'm going to have new DH in the delivery room and I'm okay with having my mom & MIL in there this time too. We have our own place about 10 mins from the grandparents (his mom & my parents live right next door to each other so that's convenient for visiting!). I'd venture to say that really only my mom & MIL will come over to my house during the day to watch the baby while I sleep or in helping with the other two kids. I'm guessing most of the family will wait to see him at Christmas.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 11:08pm

You're all so lucky to have family so close by!

Photobucket