QOTW: Where will baby sleep?

iVillage Member
QOTW: Where will baby sleep?
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 8:36am

Where will be baby sleep when he/she comes home from the hospital? (Where, in what, and for how long?)

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 8:40am

With our son, he slept in the Pack n Play (with the mattress part raised up) in our room for about the first four months.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 9:03am
We will do pack n play in the room for the first bit as well. Not sure how long. My dd slept in our room for about 6 weeks. I noticed when we moved her to her own room she started sleeping better. I don't know if we were waking her up, or what (dh is a snorer). Or perhaps she also didn't like sleeping in the pack n play...I never really thought about it.

I do like bassinets but you can't use them for very long so I hate to buy something that I'm not going to get a lot of use of...of course you can resell, but if I know us it will sit in the garage and end up getting thrown out. lol
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 9:37am
This time I am going to either a) side-car the crib to our bed to make for easier breastfeeding (i.e. just pull baby over to me so he/she can eat while I go back to sleep!) or b) get one of those "arm's reach" sleeper things that basically do the same thing, but are smaller. I'm pretty sure that having to go into my DS's room all the time to feed him is what helped to result in a very tired mommy who didn't have the energy to push through the first nursing strike.
Here's a link to the "side-carred" crib:
http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 11:56am
I honestly have no idea. I was thinking about doing one of those arm's reach things, but I wanted to get one of the monitors that detect movements and I don't think it will work with those.
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-10-2011 - 12:40pm

I'm not exactly sure yet what we are going to do. With Kenz and JJ they had a bassinet, which they did *OK* in but didn't love it. I think it might have been a bit small. With Nate we got a mini crib that went into our room and then when he would wake up at night for the first month or so he would then just move to our bed, where I would nurse him. With this baby I planned on just putting this

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-11-2011 - 9:37am
ive decided im gonna do the pack and play in my room as well for the first months (not sure how long, it was different for my 2 kids so depends on baby i guess) i was originally gonna buy a crib and a bassinet AND a new playpen as i don't like my old one (its like 4 years old now and i have my own daycare so its quite used loL) but ive decided against the bassinet as there only useful for like 4 months (play pen does the exact same thing) and ive even gone against a crib as it would only get used for a year (and trust me a year goes freakin quick!) my DD has a bunk bed and her old pink toddler bed in her bedroom and DS has his car bed and two other toddler beds in his room (daycare :P) so i figured i have enough beds in my house, we'll just make a comfy mattress for the play pen and have baby sleep in there until he/she gets switched to whichever room it'll get sent to (id still like a crib but i figure the money can be better spent on something else)
pregnancy
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-11-2011 - 11:05am
We'll use a gorgeous vintage bassinet that's been in Nick's Mom's family since the first of his cousins were born. Almost all of them slept in it and we used it with Olivia. We were the 1st of this generation to use it because no one else wanted it. I’m not a co-sleeper so once the baby is too big for the bassinet, s/he’ll go into her room in her crib.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-11-2011 - 11:54am

This is my first so I'm not really sure what the norm is, but we decided to use a bassinet by my side of the bed until the baby outgrows it then crib in our room. We are thinking of keeping the baby with us for the first 6 months before setting up a full nursery.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-11-2011 - 11:59am
Also a first timer... So I was thinking bassinet for the first month or two then crib in his/her own room...
Community Leader
Mon, 07-11-2011 - 1:14pm

In our room, in a bassinet, for a few months.

Pages