QOTW: Who will BF?

iVillage Member
QOTW: Who will BF?
Sun, 10-16-2011 - 8:16am

Just curious who out there is planning on breastfeeding?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 2:27am

I do, I plan on going 12+ months. :)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 9:28pm
I'll be BF'ing this one. I did with the other 2 as well and will supplement with formula if I need a night off.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 3:01pm

I'll be bfing this one.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 1:36pm
Right now I want to breastfeed unless I have complications. If your still on the fence about it i would highly recommend taking a breastfeeding class. Also, your hospital might offer a free breastfeeding 'club' that meets during the week to help woman with breastfeeding. I would highly recommend going and talk to woman that are new moms learning how to do it all the way to moms that are pros. That was much easier for me than to read it in a book.

The pros for breastfeeding are (these are from my notes from breastfeeding class)
1. The skin to skin contact helps newborns regulate body temp, breathing and heart rate. So while your breastfeeding you get the skin to skin contact
2. Newborns are born with a weak immune system... breast milk has something in it that helps boost their immune system). There was a study that was done that shows kids that are breastfeed actually have stronger immune systems and less food allergies.
3. The first few days the babies instenses are filled with a 'tar like' substance the breastmilk acts as a laxative to get that 'tar like' substance out where as formula doesn't.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 12:21pm
Yes, definitely plan on BF. I'll be home with the baby the first 8 weeks and will BF exclusively. I hope to get some expressed milk via the pump out during that time so I can stock pile for DH and my parents (who will be watching him once I go back to work).
I nursed my first for 14 months and he had a cleft lip for the first 3.5 months, so his latch wasn't particularly strong. Then he had stitches in his mouth (talk about uncomfortable for ME!), but I got through it and after the surgery he healed up with a nice strong latch and no nursing issues after that. He was able to go from breast to bottle (with both expressed breast milk and soy formula supplements) without any issue.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 11:35am

That's my plan. My goal is to bf then alternate between bf'ing and pumping when I go back to work at 6 weeks. I realize that sometimes not everything with bf'ing goes as planned so if issues arise we'll try to work through them but if I have to switch to pumping right away or to formula I'm not to freak out over it.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 11:08am

I am tentatively planning on BF'ing.

Michelle due 2/12/10 w/#4

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-16-2011 - 9:35pm
I commented earlier, but I wanted to comment on the support issue. For me, I have no one in my family that breast fed. My sister said she tried it at the hospital but it hurt, which means she wasn't doing it right. That was my reasoning with DD, I didn't because I had noone around me that could help me and support me. That was my defintion of support.. people who breastfed. now I still have noone that breastfed, but I have supporters that back me with any decision. I joke around with my mom and sister asking who's gonna sip on my breast milk lol just to get them to atleast laugh about it.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-16-2011 - 9:19pm
bookwormjess wrote:
I will for first three weeks then pump. I'll start backing off it at 3 mos and introduce formula, hopefully transitioned to formula by 6 mos. I know it's not a very "mom" thought but breastfeeding kinda squicks me out a bit. :(

LIke someone else said, your body, your choice.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-16-2011 - 8:31pm
I plan to BF as well...for hopefully a year. I've got lots of support from both of our families and I have a lot of friends that BF as well.

Pages