QOTW: Who will cloth diaper?

iVillage Member
QOTW: Who will cloth diaper?
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 8:38am

I've noticed a lot of ladies mention cloth diapering, so I thought for this week's question we could see who all plans to cloth diaper or who might be thinking about it?

I use disposables with DS and have toyed with the idea of cloth diapering, but honestly I don't think I have the patience for it (i.e. cleaning the diapers, doing more laundry, etc.).

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 8:51am
This is our first and we plan to cloth diaper. I do plan, however, to use eco-friendly disposables for the first month since I've heard how gross newborn baby poop is and I'd like to get used to diapering with something easy and well, disposable, before I start into the cloth diapers.
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 9:28am

*raises hand* ME!! :) I am so excited about it. All the cute colors and prints, I can't wait for her to have a colorful little bum, and they are SO SOFT. We are doing it for 1) the money savings - $1751.60 for 30 months of disposable diapers and wipes, where as cloth (If you get the one size - which goes from birth to potty trained) you will spend maybe $600.00. I will probably wind up spending a bit more because they are a addicting. 2) Also because after I started looking into cloth (I mainly started looking because they were sooooo cute) I started getting into what is actually IN disposables and that was enough for me to say never again. 3) and lastly, I'd like to just be a little more earth friendly. This is where my children, grandchildren and great - grandchildren (and so on) will have to live and I would like for it not to be some nasty place to live.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 9:35am
I am a new mommy but after all the advice from others wonderful mommys here I think I am going to go with my gut and go cloth. My sister almost did but she was living with my mother and my mom refused to allow the diapers to be washed in her washing machine.
My DH and I eat organic and use green cleaning products so this seemed like a normal next step.
I do plan on going to the websites the other ladies suggested and start really getting my hands dirty in picking out what to use and buying them!

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 9:43am

Danielle & Dixie, as first time moms this will be GREAT for you because you can re-use them for all of your babies. HUGE cost savings for you!! :)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 10:23am
I'd like to. But we wont for a few reasons. 1. Can't do all that money as an upfront cost. and B. I am with you... I don't want to do more laundry. LOL
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 10:28am
I'm not. I work so I don't have time for extra laundry and cloth isn't accepted at our daycare.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 9:31am
I use disposables for my DS. But I'm thinking of using cloth diapers part time for the new baby. I think I still have to get my DH on board with it though. I want to use them when we are home. I used to always think there was no way in the world I would EVER even consider cloth diapering, but having looked into it a bit more, I think that financially it will be the best. I will, however, use disposables for a while when baby is first born. That newborn poop just doesn't come off of anything very easily, lol. Oh, and I'll probably use disposables whenever we are going to be out for a while, like at a theme park or something.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 9:58am
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share a link with you all to the Diapering board here on iVillage. If you have any questions about cloth diapers (or disposable diapers too!), you may want to stop by the board. The ladies there are very knowledgeable about all things to do with diapering and I'm sure they'd love to hear from you!

Diapering- http://forums.ivillage.com/ivillage/?category.id=iv-ppdiapering

photo snowsiggy.png

Community Leader
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 1:43pm

I'll be cloth diapering this one.

Community Leader
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 1:46pm
Also, it's possible to get flushable liners to go in your cloth diapers -- no need to scrape poop, then! It just peels off. :) Lately I've been using washed diaper wipes (I found out by accident that they actually wash pretty well) although they leave fluff on DS2's butt.

Pages