QOTW: Will you use a pacifier?

iVillage Member
QOTW: Will you use a pacifier?
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 3:53pm

I am definitely asking this week's question b/c it is something I am trying to decide on.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 3:58pm

So as I said when I posted this, I have been giving this a lot of thought.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 4:03pm
I did a little with my DS but he never really took to it for long. he just wasn't that fussy...so never had a need for it much. I'm not opposed to it, especially if it soothes a hysterically crying baby at 3am...
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 4:16pm

I'll def try if it's needed for my sanity. Neither one of mine would take to it well, if at all and preferred to use me as their pacifier which is awful imo. My daughter was a great baby though and actually became a thumb sucker which has now become an issue trying to break. My son wouldn't take anything and was an awfully fussy baby. IF I can get a child to take one as needed I would try and have it gone by age one, I hate seeing older kids with them. There are people I know who still let their four and five year olds have them and I PERSONALLY think that's ridiculous. I would pay someone if they would give me the trick that would break my daughters thumb sucking! It is soooooo hard!

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 4:36pm

Yup, I definitely plan on using one. We used them with all 3.

With Makenzie, she wasn't a huge fan so only took it really in the very beginning and then switched to her "Mi-Mi" which in Spanish means night - night. It was one of the travel size silky blankets from cherishandjoy.com, this one in fact... http://www.cherishandjoy.com/item_160/Custom-Classic-Velvet-Travel-Silky.htm (the pink one). I can't believe they still carry the exact ones 10 years later. They carried them in our local mall and one day we were in there and I fell in love with how soft and cute it was so I handed it to her (she was probably 8 weeks??) well I took it and she started screaming so I knew we had to have it for her. That was it lol, if we ever lost that blanket we were in for a night of h3ll. I can't even tell you how many times we had to replace that blanket. She now at 10 has one of the big blankets. One side is a royal purple and the other a leopard print. She still to this day loves her blanket but its not like when she was a baby lol.

With both boys, they loved their binkies and it was so nice when we were out to eat of shopping or something and they wanted to be soothed and would take the binkie and drift off to sleep or be content for a while. They both let go of their binkies before they were even a year old. JJ never took anything that has stuck, binkies or blankets or anything. Nate on the other hand attached to the blanket like Makenzie. He is 5 and still carries his frigging nite - nite around. We lost it once and he gave up on it, and then he found it and now hes attached to it again. We don't allow him to take it in stores or anything any more but still... ugh. I asked him what he's gonna do when he has to go to school in a month and has to leave that darn nite - nite here, he reply was "Be MAD!!" lol. I think we might "lose" it again here soon for good this time (last time he lost it down the side of his bed)...

Binkies though, have never been a problem and always helped so much with the boys. They both talk great and never developed teeth issues because of it. Plus I would rather them have a binkie then to suck the thumb. You can toss a binkie and deal with the fits for a few days, you can't take away their thumb.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 5:11pm
I plan on using one if it helps. My sister and I never took to them and my niece was rather indifferent so hard to say if my child will even want one. However I had a cousin who used them until 5 and I can say with extreme confidence that even at 6 I knew THAT was wrong and will not allow my child to use one past 1 maybe 2 years of age.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 8:31pm
My dd used them until 18 months. After that we let her use it at bedtime only until just before her 2nd bday. She traded it for a toy at the store and that was the end of that. I thought it was a lifesaver and was thankful to have something when she was fussy in public.

I was also glad she was never a thumbsucker I've heard that is a much harder habit to break.
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 8:33pm
I guess I should add I will use one again with this baby. Dd is dying to know of it is a girl or boy so she knows what color paci to buy lol
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 8:58pm
We used one with my DS, who still uses it a nap and bedtime. We've weaned him off of having at any other times. I was actually very easy to get him to give it up at "other" times....we just take it away when he wakes up and don't let him bring it out of the bedroom. He's pretty got the "out of sight out of mind thing" going on with them. I will start weaning him off of it during nap and bedtimes soon. I do think that the bink is part of his night-time wakings (although he's been STTN lately! ).
With the new one, we'll probably use the bink again, if she/he will take it. It did help save my sanity a few times. It is a usually reflexive for babies to want to suck on something, even when they aren't hungry, so the bink is a good alternative, lol.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 9:28pm
DS wouldn't take a pacifier but sucked his thumb until age 4. We had to use this nail polish on his thumb to get him to stop. It tasted bitter. We couldn't find it in a store and ended up ordering it online. He always hid when we put it on, however one day I let him apply it and from then on he applied his own without argument. He does have an overbite and will most likely need braces. (Sigh). DD took a binkie and would still like to had I not had the binkie fairy come when she was a little over 2. It took a week for her to go back to STTN but otherwise she did well. Its funny, if we pass them in the grocery store, she looks longingly at them . With this baby we'll try a pacifier but I hope to wean it at a year.
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 11:17pm
I don't know yet. Sometimes I think yes, sometimes I think no. I do have some pacifiers but I'm just not sure yet - guess I'll play it by ear.