QOTW: Will you write a birth plan?

iVillage Member
QOTW: Will you write a birth plan?
Sun, 10-09-2011 - 7:41am

As we're starting to near the end, how many of you will write a birth plan to take with you to the hospital?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2011 - 8:07am
I did make a birth plan with my doula that I'll hand out to everyone...hopefully they don't look at me like I'm crazy! I put things in there like no pacifiers or artificial nipples, no Hep B shot, using a hand-held fetoscope instead of EFM so I can move around, prefer to drink water so I can stay hydrated...it's got a lot of stuff in it, but it's one page and I specified at the top that if there are any complications, etc I know some or all of my requests may not be met.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2011 - 8:49am
I won't because I think it comes across as high maintenance and if there is one lesson I've learned in life its DON"T PISS OFF THE NURSING STAFF! lol In all honesty, I don't find them that necessary. I think it is important to think through the decisions ahead of time for different scenarios and inform dh or whoever will be with you in case you are worried that you will be unable to express yourself for some reason during your hospital stay. I think communicating your wishes as situations arise is sufficient.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2011 - 9:24am
I agree with Amanda. As a nurse myself, I could see that the birth plan may be percieved as high maintenance. Where I'm located, the hospitals don't embrace them but I know there are spots across the US where they are the norm. I know I will be bringing a pacifier and nail scissors. I BF both my kids and the paci didn't interfere. Also, at the hosptial I delivered at, they wouldn't trim baby's nails and both kids were born with long nails. The mitts they gave me to cover never stayed on.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2011 - 10:24am

I'm not planning on writing out a birth plan. I feel pretty informed about all of my options so I figure I'll cross those bridges when I get to them. My only thing that I'm going to talk to my doctor about later has to do with if they need to section me. I want them to use a product called seprafilm or something equivalent when closing me up. I've seen such a huge difference in patients that it's been used in vs. patients it hasn't been used in. It helps your body not form adhesions on the inside while healing. I know it's been approved for use in that facility so I don't think it'll be any bit of a deal. My husband works on the supply management

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2011 - 10:40am
I am also not writing out a birth plan, I don't feel its necessary for me. I'm a very out spoken person and I'm sure if I have a request I will remember to say it. If not my mother will be there the entire time and I have the same beliefs as her. Also during the hospital tour I asked questioned. As far as a paci, I do have one that's the same brand as my breast pump. The nurse said they don't give the babies paci. The only time they would is if the baby is getting circumsized they put something sweet on the tip of a paci, which calms them down.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2011 - 12:07pm

I will DEFINITELY be writing a birth and after care plan for Addie. I am not a very outspoken person and I am going to make darn sure that what I want done with not only my body but with my baby after birth is DONE!! My Dr is amazing though and she actually brought it up before I did. Sometime in the next few weeks I will take my birth plan into her and we will go over it together. Her office actually encourages you to get one together. I can imagine it would make the nurses and Drs job easier, if my plan is right there in my chart they wont even have to ask about the things. Any how, I have already started mine. Here is what I have so far:

LABOR and BIRTH plan/wishes

- I want to be as mobile as possible and would love to use wireless monitors, if available.

- I want a heparin/saline lock. I plan on keeping my fluids up and not be hooked up to an IV so that I am able to be as mobile as possible, I understand that if I have to be treated for group B, then I will need to be hooked up while getting the medicine, which I am ok with.

- Please do not offer any pain medication. I did it all natural with my last baby and plan on doing it again. If I need pain meds, I will ask for them.

- During pushing, I want to follow my own urges to push instead of being directed.

- I want baby placed on me right away skin to skin. I do not want the cord cut until the blood flow has stopped. My daughter, Makenzie with the help of my husband, Jack will cut the cord. (My Dr told me this is a reg practice now, they do not do early clamping, yay!!!)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2011 - 12:30pm
Whoooa, now u would have to write all that down lol after reading it I don't remember what the first request was lol
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2011 - 12:48pm

I don't have one written up but i remember the nurse gave me a birth plan form to fill and the only thing i checked was I wanted the epidural,,, pls fill me up with it, i am not too good in taking pain, so Sarah i commend u for doing it natural.

Also just like Jayla said, i am very outspoken person so while i am going to respect the hospital rules the Doctors and the nurses, if i don't want something, they will sure know.... Paci's don't bother me bcos my kids have their own ways of weening off them....

KELLY THANKS FOR THE BEAUTIFUL SIG
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2011 - 2:49pm
So with ur last one did u get to get an epi or were you too late? My plan is to go natural with RJ, I'm hoping he isn't toooo big lol
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2011 - 9:07pm
My plan consists of meeting with the LC as soon as I'm wheeled into recovery and asking for different pain meds. I didn't like the way they made me feel and I can handle a fair amount of pain. I have my worries about the LC because it's the same ladies from my 1st and they didn't bother checking on me for over 24 hours despite the fact that I gave birth at noon. I wish the nice lady I talked to at WIC could meet me but I'm not in the program and i doubt they do hospital visits. I'm considering seeing if hiring an LC is an option.
Photobucket

Pages