question about previous c-section

iVillage Member
question about previous c-section
Fri, 06-03-2011 - 9:38am

hey there ladies! so i have a question, my SO's mother is a nurse at the hospital here and she told me that she thinks because my second was a c-section (breech) that i wont have a choice for this baby, my first was a vag delivery, pushed for about 35 minutes (i hear thats good for a first loL) and had absolutely no complications and was up on my feet the next day. Anyways my question is why couldn't i have a VBAC this time around? (what i believe is that the docs are lazy and want to set a date for everything so its more convenient for their schedule..) i had a friend of mine tell me the reason is because the trauma of pushing the baby out might rip open my old scar inside?? ive never heard of this and i have my own daycare and will only be taking a week off, a c-section id have to tell parents im out of business for over a month and i really can't do that..

pregnancy
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-03-2011 - 11:06am

If your last pregnancy was a c-section because your baby was breech, I see no reason why you cant have a VBAC.

Like you, my first pregnancy with

Darcy

Madelyn 9/19/01

Brayden 12/12/05

Ryan 1/28/08

&nbs

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-03-2011 - 12:33pm
The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology is supportive of VBACs. However, I do know that some hospitals do not permit them due to the high rate of risk involved. Also malpractice premiums are high and OBs again aren't willing to risk VBAC unless patient is a good candidate. I would talk to your OB and tell him your desires and ask if you are a candidate for vbac. I will be a repeat section. I considered VBAC but my ultimate goal of a safe delivery for my baby supersedes my desire for a normal vaginal delivery.
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-03-2011 - 1:08pm
I don't think it has anything to do with doctors being lazy. It is a risk issue and for the doctors, a liability issue. Some docs will do them, some won't. You may have to change doctors to find someone who will.. so I would check your docs policy ASAP.
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-03-2011 - 1:09pm

You may or may not be a candidate for a vbac. There is a risk of ruptured uterus! It will depend how long ago your section was, how big was the last baby, are you prone to large babies? Also each hospital has their own policy on the matter because of the reasons pp mentioned about Liability and malpractice.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-03-2011 - 4:21pm

As others have said, a lot of it depends on how long ago you had your c-section, how big the baby is, etc.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-03-2011 - 5:31pm
hmmm, i wouldn't have thought there would be risk in VBAC's , i could see if a previous c section was an emergency, but not for a breech, i guess ill just have to see, both my babies were 6 lbs, and my c-section was 3 years ago (may2008). i dont start seeing the doctor that will deliver until after 20 weeks, until than its just my family doctor, i live in canada so im guessing things work different here :) thanks for the info

Christine
pregnancy
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 3:02am

I know that alot of hospitals are very pro vbac while some are not.

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 1:31pm
I haven't read all of the responses, but take a look at this website:
http://icancanada.ca/
ICAN is dedicated to providing information to those who wish to have a vbac and will give you lots of information and question to ask your doctors to find out if you are good candidate for vbac.
From what I have heard, some hospitals don't allow vbacs simply because of legal/liability issues. Although there is a risk of uterine rupture, it is really very, very small. According to the ACOG (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) the risk of uterine rupture in a non-induced or augmented labor is only 0.2-1.5%. That is quite low (in my opinion). Since your previous c-section was 3 years ago, I think that you would probably be considered as a good candidate for a vbac. Talk to your doctors after you gather as much information as you can about vbacs. Just know that if you don't go into labor on your own or your labor stops and needs help getting going (but by the sounds of your first one, this one shouldn't, lol), that they will probably not allow a vbac because the use of drugs makes your uterus contract more violently which increases the risk of uterine rupture.
I would say that the best thing you can do for yourself and your hope for a vbac is to gather all the information you can before you begin to discuss it with your doctors. Also, it will be important to find out whether or not the hospital you will be delivering at will allow a vbac attempt. Some do, some don't (generally those that are more "with the times" will allow a vbac attempt as much research has shown it is better for both the baby and mom than a repeat section). But definitely check out that website. Good luck in getting your vbac!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-05-2011 - 6:41am