SAHMs, how do you do it?

iVillage Member
SAHMs, how do you do it?
Mon, 04-18-2011 - 10:11pm

So, DH and I both work full time. There is NO WAY in heck that we will be able to afford to put two kids in daycare full time. So I will probably stay at home or work massivly part time after this baby is born.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-19-2011 - 1:10am

Do you have a budget? Make sure you have a realistic picture of everything, and if you can sock away some $$ while your still working. Start living now like you are on one income, that gives you the length pregnacy to see how much you can trim.

Couponing is one thing I do as well, If I do any online shopping I go through ebates or shopathome, they send you money back on your purchases. (Even if you order diapers and formula) Do you use any couponing sites? like for matchups? I can recommend a couple depending on where you live. If you can start stockpiling now on good deals, you get get 3-6 months worth of groceries put away if you get hard core.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-19-2011 - 7:42am
We are living as much on one income as we can right now. I cant pull DD out of daycare yet, and thats where a huuuuuge chunck of our money goes every month.

So, couponing. JUST started this :P So I am way new. We spend about 120 a week on groceries, I'd like to get that down to 50 or less. I use krazycouponlady, other similar sites, I also print a ton of coupons off online. I live in the chicago land area. I also plan on having a huge garage sale after we find out the sex of the baby.

thats a good idea about Meetup. there is a mom group by me, but its still a little far away, so I plan on making my own group :P
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-19-2011 - 8:43am
Me and dh are both police and what we decided to do once we got pregnant was put money aside just for the baby. we won't get any assistance because of our income. So were putting money on the side every week, cutting back on expenses as far as food and going out.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-19-2011 - 9:02am
Well what has worked for me three years ago is i started a daycare out of my home, i live in canada and dont need to be licensed, and if you dont want to take 5 kids than dont, just take in one or two, i charge 500$ a month a child, depending on how much patience you have and how much money you need/would like to make. after i had DS#2 I was going to go back to work but my mom was going to watch my kids, but she dies when he was 4 months old, so i was in a bit of a pickle and the babysitting has saved me big time, i was able to support myself and my two kids by myself in a 3 bedroom without a problem until i met my SO :) but its not for everyone! just thought id throw that out there :)

Christine
pregnancy
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-19-2011 - 10:42am
Yea I was totally thinking that! maybe just a part time sitter thing. I really dont want to make a big thing of it though and go through a bunch of license rigmarole.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-19-2011 - 10:49am

sounds like you are doing great with the couponing, I like thekrazycouponlady and I would also recommend weusecoupons.com- there is a ton of great info on there (Mr. Coupon) Also, just a note if you don't know this already- Walmart changed their coupon policy for the better- they expect the coupon for the full amount now. So for example, they had some Similac ready to feed formula on sale for 3.84 and I had the $5 coupon from the paper a couple of weeks ago. I had 10 coupons and bought 10 similac- they paid me 1.16 overage for each one. So I walked out of there with money in my pocket and the similac doesn't expire until next June. So keep an eye out for money makers like that...its about the only way I'll shop at walmart =)

If you just started couponing, give yourself a few months you'll start saving more and more. Sometimes for the ease I'll order some of my coupons from a clipping service, but you can easy go fishing in a few public recycle bins and find free inserts!

Sounds like you'll be a little ahead then whe the new baby comes, factor that daycare money back in your pocket! That will be nice.

Photobucket